Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

What are the disdvantages of the separate media box approach?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by andrewkay, Nov 5, 2005.

1. andrewkay

andrewkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give me an idea of the pros and cons of buying a complete TV with a separate media box (by which i mean the latest Pioneer TV :D ). I keep seeing disparaging side comments on the forum about the media box.

I have not got to viewing panel only solutions, but to my untrained eye the Pioneer TV is head and shoulders above every other TV I have compared and I know there are alot of fans of this TV. So the media box can't be all bad (or can it?)

Andy

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Where are you, Andy, and we'll point you in the direction of a proper demo of a system with a panel.

3. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,110
    If you ever plan to get a scaler then you will end up only ever using one input on the media box and it will be more of a hinderance than a help. The scaler can do everything the media box would have done and much more. If you never plan to get a scaler then the media box is useful for making wall mounts simpler cabling wise although daisy chaining everything through a DVD player can have the same good results.

4. andrewkay

andrewkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in Herts, close to North Lon, and easy acess to c. lon.

Should i be getting a "scaler"?

Latest Pioneer seems to be best picture to me - no ghosting deep inside when viewed "off axis". Can I get a panel only which gives same quality? Pioneer panels don't seem to have HDMI input, but presumably use the same technology as the 436 TVs

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The panasonic can have HDMI, the Pioneer is not HD ready cos it does not have HDCP and also no 720p on digital input. You need a scaler and a HDCP stripper, or an after market video card, (key digital) to use the Pioneer MXE. I like them, but they do involve a fair bit of fiddling around with. I don't know of anyone in central london, or indeed herts/n of london with the kit and experience and demo facilities. I'm the wrong side of London for you, as is Alastair, (AV sales) and Liam (don't know that Liam has demo facilities.) I think, given your current leanings re: hi fi, you need to see maybe the Panasonic and a setup something like you would use before making a final decision on the Pioneer XDE. Tunbridge wells or Cobham are most likely to do what you need.

6. andrewkay

andrewkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW

Going to show today in Hammersmith. If this does not resolve it I will look you up.

In fact I will probably look you up in any case! And thank you very much for your help.

Andy

7. andrewkay

andrewkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't fully understand this. The screen has a DVI input and a high resolution, but that alone obviously does not make it HD Ready. Will the key digital video card make the Pioneer MXE into an HD compatible TV. What I want is to get the best quality from current DVD's and had planned to purchase an upscaling DVD player with HDMI output. If this can be achieved with DVI or even component that is fine for me - not interested in HDMI per se.

The reason I am persuing the Pioneer Panel idea is because ot the way their Pure Colour Filter II seems to eliminate the ghosting in off axis viewing (very visible with white images on black background). I am assuming that this applies to the panels as well as their 436 TVs.

Thanks for your expert help. Sorry if it is case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing!

Andy

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Well, I see none of the problems off axis on my PHD8 from here (shoebox zoo, fantastic quality broadcast) so I reckon there's a bit of marketing speak in there, been subliminally planted in your brain. Maybe superimposed on the HD Harry potter feed they usually use. Off topic really, the Key digital card has HDMI inputs, adding HDCP compliance to the screen. That's the big issue really. Copy protection. The screen is fully HD ready with the card installed, plus it still doees native res at 50 and 60Hz on DVI, so HCPCs are still on the cards. Few screens can do all that. Upconverting DVD players might or might not help you with any screen. PAL DVD is encoded with 576 vertical lines, the HD screens have 768. So, if you upscale in the dvd, 576-720 in one place, 720-768 in another, I very much doubt it will be exactly the same as 576-768 in one place. Which is more accurate?
    There are other MXE solutions too, an HDCP stripper and a scaler would be marvellous, best of all worlds. This setup could work well on a Panasonic panel too, but by analogue, not digital. You are right not to be hung up on HDMI/Digital, it's not always the be all and end all. Pioneers shine on DVI, panasonics on VGA, other screens likewise have their own preferences.

9. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    MAW, is Pioneer going to bring out the next MXE generation panels any time soon?

10. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    - You have another box to house in your AV rack.
    + You have only three wires to connect to your panel (power/Video/Control/Sound)

You pays your money you takes your choice.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My way you have just 2 wires to your screen, power and video, unless you want picture in picture, then add 1 more video. And 1 less box on your rack. No new MXE's in my crystal ball at the moment, I think Pioneer are very happy with them!

12. andrewkay

andrewkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, Thanks as always for your helpful, detailed and expert answers. The ghosting problem is for real in the Panasonic HD TV 500 model - seen it with my own eyes very clearly. It may not be a problem with the Panasonic Panels - I hope it is not because I prefer to use a panel rather than a complete TV.

Andy

13. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,110
    Andy, I have just changed my PV500 which I had for 3-4 months for the PHD8 and neither had ghosting problems at all. I prefer the panel though.