What are the differences between the Nikon D70 and D50?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well after about eight months of owning an FZ3 I have decided that this cristmas it is time to get a digital SLR.
I have a relative that works for the sister company to Nikon (he is some kind of electronic engineer) and can get good discounts on Nikon Gear. Anyway since the D70 came out I wanted one of them but now I am not too sure if I would notice the difference between this and the D50.
Could someone please highlight the main diffences between these two cameras so I can decide if I would miss the missing funcions.
Any opinions on which one to go for would also be appreciated.
I will be keeping the FZ3 for point and shoot photography as it is one great little camera.

I looked at them a while ago, the D70 has more advanced settings. The deal breaker on the D50 is no Mirror lockup or DOF preview. In some reviews the D50 produces less noise and better low light shooting than the D70.

Shimmyhill,

can you please explain what you mean re mirror lock up and DOF preview?

Thanks,

Ged.

Forgot to mention, I bought the D50 yesterday and have had little time to mess about with it. Best thing of the limited use is the lack of shutter lag and fast power on over my compact F200 and Z5.
Unsure of D70 differences, I better not try and find out as I don't want to be left pondering!

Ged said:
Shimmyhill,

can you please explain what you mean re mirror lock up and DOF preview?

Thanks,

Ged.

DOF means depth of feild, not sure what mirror lock up is though. Thanks for the input guys.

Thanks for the info, I have used a remote with the F200 and had good results so I have ordered one for the D50.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom