1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the chances of the H79 coming to UK?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ToniMontana, Feb 18, 2005.

1. ToniMontana

ToniMontana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear the H79 will not be coming to the UK. Any truth in this? And why not?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    Who knows..

It was suggested that we might get the H77a ala H30a instead, but I can't imagine the UK Optoma people telling dealers the H77 replacement isn't coming merely because they didn't ask the right question.

It does seem very odd that we won't be getting any, and I can't understand the reasoning behind it. RTFM was told it wasn't coming here by Optoma UK I believe, so if anyone should know they should.

If we do get some, I'd like to know why people were told otherwise.

Gary.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Probably to not hinder sales of the H77, or to start discounting this unit just yet, maybe Optoma UK currently have quite high stocks of this particular model and want to get full price for most of them.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    You could well be right.

In the US, companies like Projector People are selling the H77 with a free lamp at quite a discount, so perhaps they want to wait until all the H77s are sold out here first. In the US, the advertising leaflet has both H77 and H79 shown, as if they're selling them both. Of course the prices will be different and the H79 is quite a bit more expensive. I don't know why they can't do the same here though. I can't see them selling the H79 at £3.5k rightnow though. Maybe at the end of the year perhaps, which is when it was suggested it might eventualy get here.

Gary

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    It would be nice if they do sell the H79 in the UK and at a £3.5k price point, the H77 may then come down to a £2k price point. If it does then i will definitely pull the trigger on the H77.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    The way prices are going, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case for entry level HD2+ pjs later this year.

Gary.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello all

As far as I've been told we'll not see the H79 in the UK - the time taken to get the ThemeScene products optimised for PAL is such that in all probability a replacement H77 will be on the way by the time an H79A (fictitious product code) was ready for release.

H79 is more expensive than H77 and £3.5k does seem to be a 'ceiling' that a lot of folk wont break through.

Hopefully at some point ThemeScene work out a way to do simultaneous model releases in NTSC and PAL land - until then I think we'll always be out of step with US releases.

Best regards

Joe

PS inzaman - even if the H79 did appear a £2k H77 is a bit of a long shot I fear :)

8. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The chap on the Optoma stand at the Bristol show yesterday also said they had no intention of bringing the H79 to the UK - claimed the difference in performance did not make the cost of PAL modifications worthwhile. He inferred they were going to skip a model and bring in the one after the H79.

First time I have seen one and I was seriously impressed - could not tell much about the image as it was quite small - I think there were some bigger plasmas there - but the unit was seriously quiet. I currently have a HS10 and after hearing (or not hearing) the H77 it is unbearably loud.

Have they fully resolved the PAL issues on this yet?

They are punting them out at £3k at the show though which I believe is £500 off retail?

Cheers
    Rob

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    It looks like it - the posterisation is all but gone whereas before it was quite bad.

I haven't noticed the panning issue some people mention, so I'd say it's excellent value now, especialy at £3000.

Gary.

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Gary

I didn't see any rainbows on the H77 - I did on both of the the Infocus units on demo - but I will need to go and have a longer demo before buying to make sure.

Cannot get over how quiet it is!

Discount electrical are doing them for £3.4 with a spare bulb and pay next year so I guess the reductions are already filtering down to retail anyway.

Cheers
    Rob

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    The way prices are going it will be interesting to see how much projectors are going to be this time next year, especialy after the introduction of 1080 chips.

New lamps cost around £300 I believe, so in effect the pj is £3100, and a good deal IMHO.

Gary.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello all

The ThemeScene H77 is one of the quietest projectors we've ever worked with - it makes some CRT's sound noisy!!!

At its UK SRP of 3.5K it should be on anyone's shopping list - and add in a decent Video Processor for another 1K and you have a mighty decent set-up.

Best regards

Joe

13. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was hoping to find more info here about the "upgrades" that Optoma are alledgedly doing on the H77s at present.

Has anyone heard about this? Apparently the reps are saying that their machines are currently being upgraded which is why it is so difficult to get hold of a demo model.

Maybe this is why they are holding back on future models. I am not sure of this, but I think that the "upgrade" may be related to the scaling technology.

Anyone know more?

14. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195812