What are the best under €1000 power amps (hifi)

gasolin

I wanted to look for a power amp (hifi) with more than 100 watt pr channel in 8 ohm but more or less all of these best amps on sites like whathifi is about integrated amps.

What are the best under €1000 power amps with more than 2x100 watt in 8 ohm (speakers B&W 607), max weight my glass shelf can handle is 15kg so under 15kg and i don't want a thin bright sounding amp.

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
For new I’d look at the offerings from Nord Acoustics, remember to add VAT to their prices though.

Their website is not the best but from what I can tell, from lowest to highest the power amps are -

MP versions are the starting point
NC500 next which have different levels of buffers, I think the basic Rev c/d is just in your budget, the selectable versions look to be more expensive
Purifi this is top of the tree

For second hand you have to go some to beat a Quad 909.

This is also a bit of a monster, 250w into 8 ohms and 420w into 4 ohms But it does weigh 19kg unfortunately.

In terms of warm vs bright, the power amp, so long as it is working within its limits will have only a small effect on the sound, the majority of the sound signature will be in the preamp and the speakers IMO.

Last edited:

Nico72

This could be worth considering:

gasolin

For new I’d look at the offerings from Nord Acoustics, remember to add VAT to their prices though.

Their website is not the best but from what I can tell, from lowest to highest the power amps are -

NC500 next which have different levels of buffers, I think the basic Rev c/d is just in your budget, the selectable versions look to be more expensive

In terms of warm vs bright, the power amp, so long as it is working within its limits will have any a small effect on the sound, the majority of the sound signature will be in the preamp and the speakers IMO.

I changed from a nad integrated 2x80 watt amp to a cheap class d pa amp rated at 2x226 watt at 1 khz 1%thd and used the preamp on the integrated nad amp, the highs changed the most and than the power which was a nice upgrade (the power).

I now know i want something above 2x100 in 8 ohm (20-20khz) with my B&W and something better sounding, especially in the highs at medium to high levels, better highs and of course all of the rest, midrange,detail,tighter bass,more dynamic sound,soundstage you name it....

Atm i use a nad 1000 preamp and i like it, what i think of is mostly new power amps since they don't need to be fixed, new capacitors and other stuft that needs to be replaced on an old amp.

gasolin

This could be worth considering:

ASR don't like it because of the measurements

2021-02-09 14_20_59-XTZ EDGE A2-300 Review (amplifier) _ Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum – Go...png

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Rotel and B&W go well together generally (same parent company) so how about this -

or look out for a second hand RB1582 with 200w.

Last edited:

gasolin

I found the Pro-ject Amp Box RS with 40% of retail price where i live is 1000 euro and the Pro-ject Power Box RS Amp with a 41% discount, total price is under 950 euro

Any experince with that combo ? (both look like this and and take no more space than a normal full sized amp)
PJ-BD-PowerBoxRSAmp-black-1-510x313[1].jpg

gasolin

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Quad 909

gasolin

I on someones recommendation bought a nad c268, i am a bit of a nad fan and i like my nad preamp i don't want to skip

willsmusic

Standard Member

This is also a bit of a monster, 250w into 8 ohms and 420w into 4 ohms But it does weigh 19kg unfortunately.

In terms of warm vs bright, the power amp, so long as it is working within its limits will have only a small effect on the sound, the majority of the sound signature will be in the preamp and the speakers IMO.
+1 for Nord.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

As the Mighty Ugg10 says, the 909 is all the power amp normal people need.

gasolin

I got the amp yesterday tuesday. (rotel A11 Tribute)

It's a good match with my B&W 607, according to reviews (one being hi fi choice) it's got a little more than 75 watt in 8 ohm, over 100 watt peak power and 100 watt + in 4 ohm with a peak power around 190 watt in 4 ohm.

It's clearer and more open sounding than nad amps but doesent have so much warmth,bass as nad, sounds more controlled, less boomy, it does somehow sound a little more natural and it does it even when hitting 70-80 out of 100 in the volume.

Compared to my class d amp and nad 1000 preamp it sounds more open clear, wider soundstage and more depth (impression of the length of the room),less bass but vwell controlled, no boominess.

I whish i could turn off the blue led other than that i have no complaints so fare, didn't try the bt and phono so fare.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom