1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the best PC speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Count.d, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know this is a bit of an open question, but what are the best surround speakers for a PC.

A budget of £150 - £250.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Get the Acoutic Energy Aego P5 package. Sounds a lot better than some of the dodgy Logitech and Creative Labs offerings.

[​IMG]

3. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the AE is good. seems to get constantly good reviews... but thats also reflected in a price of around £300-400 for the speakers and £400+ for the speakers & decoder package i think

i got the creative 5100 pack linked upto an Abit AU10 5.1 card, they sound great for the £60 they cost me. i was very suprised by them really. tho they do get out of their depth on occasion when run on their own via the computer... the lobby scene in the matrix is a good example... the bass becoming very boomy and muddy when turned up to resonable volume (about a quarter turn of the volume control)

tho currently i have them linked up via the pre outs from my Marantz 4400 their doing a better job... had the same lobby scene played at higher volume and there wasnt a hint of the sub loosing control.

i guess at the price range ur lookin at, what u can get are adequate speakers. the creatives might not be the best, but they do in my bedroom, and were a vast improvement over my origonal 2w stereo speakers that i'd nicked of my parents Tiny PC

4. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know what you mean about dodgy Logitech offerings. I recently bought the Z640 and took them back because I thought the satelites were tiny and harsh, whilst the woofer was far too boomy and detatched from the rest of the music.

I'll look into the AE package prices.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    AE quite often have factory seconds advertised on their website for sale direct to customers. There is a link below.

Acoustic Energy Seconds

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I actually think my Logitech Z680s are the best 'PC' speakers I've heard and the decoder is pretty damned good to my ears. :smoke:

7. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know the frequency response of the Acoustic Energy Speakers(Satellites and Subwoofer)?

8. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got a set of http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2768740261&category=3702 (Dell branded Altec Lansing ada 995 speakers) for PC use they stun me, I never thought PC speakers could be this good. The sound is crisp and clear and the sub packs a punch. Then again I'm no expert :( Your welcome to come around and listen though if you want, think my Location is set up.

9. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think its right to call creative labs and logitech "dodgy"Every brand has a few poorer offerings but ive heard creative labs 5.1 systems before and think they sound great for pc speakers-pack a might upper bass punch but they will never offer colossal bass depth but then pc's arent meant for full on home cinema.I have read good things about that AE package and it maybe the way to go.I saw THX certified 5.1 pc speaker package avertised in esquire magazine the other day:rolleyes: think they were logitech too:eek:
    hmmm:rolleyes:

zoolander:D

10. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Altec Lansing ada 995 speakers are THX certified I. Possibly the 885's as well.

11. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klipsch Promedia's.. but the 5.1 is about £300 plus plus

Creative Megaworks THX is good, but it's all analog and depends on the PC's soundcard to do the decoding jobbie.. around £250
    features BASH amplification like the Klipsch..

if you want analog/digital with external decoder (DD/Dts/Prologic) then you can't go wrong with the Logitech Z-680.. also around £250
    if you want full-featured get this but you seem to dislike how Logitech speakers sound..

Altec makes good PC speakers as well.. in fact very good IMHO.. but they are not making new models anymore.. so not very much choices..
    im using Altec ADA885 & until now Im still having problem to make the rear speakers work for movies!

if you are looking for a surround speakers, i assume you want to use em for gaming & some movies.. i reckon get the Megaworks paired with Audigy 2 ZS and let the software do all the works.. it's for PC use afterall.. there's no significance difference if you use analog/digital on PC. my 2 cent

12. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks everyone for your help and thanks to Mat for his listening offer.

I'm looking into all these options.