What are the best James Bond films??

my two faves are Live and Let Die & License to Kill

If you don't have the Bond films I'd be tempted to wait.

There are strong rumours of remastered disks being released early next year.

we'll see what happens to those remastered DVD's now that Sony have bought MGM, but i'm pretty sure Sony will go ahead with the production.

Goldfinger - good plot, baddies & action. The benchmark.

The spy who loved me - my favourite Moore (although live and let die/golden gun come close), superb start, great lotus and Carly Simon's theme.

Tommorrow never dies - my favourite bond film since the 70's, great prologue.

Tim Dalton bought a bit of realism and violence back, one of the first things he did was headbutt someone. great stuff.

I think the Moore films have aged more than the Connery ones (blue safari suit in Moonraker?).

Generally I'd recommend all Connery, early Moore, and Tommorrow Never Dies.

Living Daylights (oddly the first Bond film I ever saw and still a nice plot/ set piece and lady combo)
Goldfinger (What's not to like?)
TWINE. Reasons?- I like Denise Richards and I liked the revisting of the Robbie Coltrane character, the fact that Bond carried an injury through it and the set pieces were of a high standard.

Obviously View to a Kill deserves special mention for having Christopher Walken in it.

Living Daylights is my favourite and was portrayed by Timothy Dalton :smashin: as Ian Fleming intended. I also liked him in Licence To Kill.
Both these stories are some of the most credible in the series.

I also like from the others From Russia With Love which is probably grounded in reality more than the rest. I also like Goldfinger , Gert Fröbe give a cracking performance as the title character.
Goldeneye was the best of the Brosnan ones and Die An Other Day :thumbsdow first half is quite good but the second half is truly dire, MTV spy.
Roger Moore’s were the least serious of the bunch and were played a lot for laughs but of them For Your Eyes Only and The Spy Who Loved Me stand out from the rest.

Although I liked Timothy Dalton it has aged badly, suffered from being made in the 80s - since when did Bond where a thick knitted jumper rather than a suit? But at least these films has some hardcore gritty bondness.

Pierce Brosnon is an excellent Bond, especially Golden Eye, but the more recent movies have been a bit naff.

Roger Moore added some great comedy to the series, Sean Connery was the original and perhaps starred in the best Bonds.

George Lazenby - hmmm, I guess he didn't have a chance to show what he could do, and OHMS is my worst Bond film, its the speeded up action and poor dubbing that put me off that one!!!

My fave films:
Golden Eye - nicely done
Gold Finger - best car, enemies etc
A View to A Kill - good action and good bad guy
Live and Let Die - the best Bond (boat) chase ever
Form Russia With Love - good old Bond

Moon Raker - gets the prize for being the oddest most far out of the lot
Dr No. - gets the prize for being the least Bond like (even though it was the first) - no gadgets etc, bit boring IMO
Never Say Never Again - Is an oddity, being "unofficial", the return of Moore etc, strange Q

Just in case you are not aware the UK dvd's of Licence To Kill,Goldeneye,and TMD are cut.The Goldeneye commentary even refers to the edits.
The initial R1 of Octopussy and Living Daylights were incorrectly mastered,and location subtitles and translations into English are missed out.
The R1 of Licence To Kill is also a censored copy(but almost 1 minute longer than UK),but as far as I know the totally uncut version has never been released anywhere in Europe.
Having bought Bond on rental vhs,sell through vhs,widescreen vhs,Laserdisc,initial R1 versions,then new R1 versions(with a few R2 thrown in) these are something of a lifetime project for me.
Connery:Goldfinger
Moore:The Spy Who Loved Me
Dalton:The Living Daylights
Brosnan:Goldeneye
But OHMSS is probably my favourite of all.Pity about Lazenby being wooden in places,but I can't imagine Connery doing the emotional scenes either.
The new improved dvd's will no doubt be released to coincide with the release of the next 007 movie-November 2005.New 5.1 tracks for all movies will be needed,aswell as proper up to date remasterings(some of the old ones are quite poor)and the current batch of extras needs to be retained and added to.

Doesn't seem to be a single mention of the content of Octopussy - good or bad.

The most "average" Bond film of all?

Nobber22 said:
Doesn't seem to be a single mention of the content of Octopussy - good or bad.

The most "average" Bond film of all?

I don't consider Octopussy to be bad per se, certainly not one of the best.

For me the "Bond dressed as a clown" is the problem. Just seems a little wrong.

CLH said:
For me the "Bond dressed as a clown" is the problem. Just seems a little wrong.

Ditto. Although I still consider the car chase to the circus in the stolen Alfa Romeo, with the coppers in/on Beemers, one of the best Bond car chase scenes ever. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom