What are the best DVD-R & DVD RAM Disks?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pcblues, Jul 22, 2003.

1. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I apologise if this has been asked before but I have looked but cannot find it.

What are the best quality disks for DVD-R and DVD RAM, I will be using them on a Toshiba RDXS30.
    I have seen references to "yellow tops" that also work on an Xbox, was this an unmodified Xbox?

Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers

pcblues

2. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I can confirm that the £2.98 caddyless dvd-ram discs from SVP work fine in my RD-SX30 after an initial format by the machine.

Not personally tried any dvd-r yet but have heard that the Datawrite Yellows (also available from above) have been used without problems.

Regards,

Lee

3. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that Lee.

Also thanks for your other reply in the other thread.
    I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of the Toshiba RD-SX30.
    £460.01 was a great price wasn't it.

cheers

pcblues

4. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi pcblues
    I use the Datawrite Yellows on my Toshiba and out of 20 or so recodings all have worked. I got a Ram disk with the machine and have yet to unwrap the thing yet so no coments as yet.
    £461 !!!!! bloody hell , that is a good price. I think Leeb and i jumped the gun by the sound of it , although at £540 i'm still well chuffed. I thought it would be nearer Christmas till i saw the machine at under £500.
    Well done and enjoy. :)

5. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks GP

I was just about to put a link to the QED site here but they have put the price up to £525.45.

I was must have walked into some dog crap, only ordered it yesterday.

cheers

pcblues

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I'm using a pc Pioneer 106 burner, but I wouldn't think it would make a lot of difference regarding media:

Anything with Ritek G04 dye should give good results.

I've tried some cheaper media but it doesn't run very well in standalone players. No problems with Ritek disks though.

The white top Datawrite 4x have Ritek dye.

Try these people for DVD-R disks, and they'll tell you who makes them so you know what you're getting:

www.bigpockets.co.uk

HTH

Gary.

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I've just ordered 25 Bulkpaq orange 4x with my new Pioneer 106. Both machine and discs should arrive tomorrow.

Am I going to have problems playing these in my standlone player?

It never occurred to me that burning DVD's might be a bit of a hit and miss affair.
    I've been burning CD's on cheap CD-R's for ages and never had a single problem.

So are these discs I've orderd utter garbage?

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You won't know what discs are suitable until you have your machine. The machines can differ from each other even with the same model number let alone brand.

I have the E20 and E30 and unlike most find Ritek based discs something of a nightmare. won't now touch them myself. They record ok but about 80% of them stutter onplay back in my E20. Other E20 owners apparently have no problem. It's the luck of the draw at the end of the day.

At the moment I am using Memorex discs. So far so good. They playback ok on everything I have. Unlike Ritek.

When you get your machine perhaps it might be a good idea to try a sample pack of different DVD-R from SVP to experiment with.

The cheap and cheerfull caddyless Mirror RAM disc from SVP have so far been fine. I have used many many of them. The only time they are a problem is if I accidentally deposit a finger print near the outer edge of the disc. The machine will then refuse to read it. Wipe it clean and all is well.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Hi Jules,

I made the same assumption as you when I ordered some Mirror disks from ebuyer. They record with no problems, but playback is stuttery on my Alba 108 and a little better on my gfs 108. Seem OK in my htpc though.

Malcolm is right in what he says though - you may have no problems with those disks in your player, though they may not play in your friends machines or vice versa.

Recordable DVD is a newish tecnology, and not all the DVD players have caught up with it it would seem. The bulkpaq media is made by Princo, and some people swear by them as good media, so you could be OK.

I would think that all media would be fine for data though.

Gary.

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Thanks guys.
    fingers crossed.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yellow tops work great in my Panny E50 as do the Ram discs mentioned at the begining of this post. I have also used a variety of white label discs using the Ritek Purple Dye without any problems.

My advice. Dont touch BulkBaq with a barge pole. People I know who have used them in standalone recorders and PC devices have had nothing but trouble. Loads of coasters and poor compatability with DVD players. Just my opinion.

And £450 for the Tosh with Hard drive functionality is an absolute bargain. They must have priced it up wrong or something. I always said sub £500 is the mark for this type of rapidly changing kit. At that price I would have got one.

I just wasnt up for the £700 - £1000 people were paying at the start of the year for the Panny HD devices.

I am glad I only paid £280 shipped for my E50. Use it for another 6 months or so then it can go on Ebay and I will pick up a HD model.

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh' is back down to £461 again now!

DaveP