Answered What are the best dimming controls for a sizable home?

colburn

Standard Member
acttr
acttr
I am doing a complete home renovation coupled with an extension for a large home cinema.

I would like to install a dedicated lighting system for the cinema and a separate one for the rest of the house. If possible, I'd like to be able to access from an i-phone, but with local control from wall mounted switches in each room. Some switches would need to operate more than one area (master switching on stairs and main entrance). Nice looking switch design with a variety of colours/ finishes is important to match with the decor.

Good reliability is very important Lutron is one choice, but is there anything else on the market that's better value that you guys can recommend?

cmclean

Check out Mode and Control4 I've used Lutron, Mode and Control4 and they are all very good. Rako is also another option however lots of reports of modules failing after a period of time. I've integrated solutions with Rako but never installed a whole house using Rako just individual rooms

You might also want to look at iLight and LightWaveRF they're cheaper than the 3 above however I'm not sure whether I would trust a whole property using their tech

Little confusing when you say you want dedicated lighting for home cinema and for the whole house. The above technologies will allow you to control all the lights across the whole property and do clever things in different zones/rooms so no need for anything to be dedicated in any area of the property.

I've just installed a home cinema where the client presses a button on the keypad as he enters his home cinema which automatically puts the cinema lights on, lower the projector screen, lowers the flush fit projector mount from the ceiling, switches on his amp, media player and inputs on HD matrix and displays all the Blu Ray cover art for him to select his movie. Then for example when he chooses his movie by just pressing play on the remote the lights fade slowly to off as the movie starts and then if he presses pause to answer phone/go toilet etc the media device pauses and the lights come up slowly to 40% so as not to dazzle presses play again they slowly fade. Presses stop on the remote and the lights slowly ramp on. Yet its the same lighting system he uses to choose lightings scenes in his dining room, kitchem, gym, etc as none of the lighting equipment is dedicated to any one area.

Hope that helps give me a shout if you want any more help

compolitus

Standard Member
acttr
acttr
I am doing a complete home renovation coupled with an extension for a large home cinema.

I would like to install a dedicated lighting system for the cinema and a separate one for the rest of the house. If possible, I'd like to be able to access from an i-phone, but with local control from wall mounted switches in each room. Some switches would need to operate more than one area (master switching on stairs and main entrance). Nice looking switch design with a variety of colours/ finishes is important to match with the decor.

Good reliability is very important Lutron is one choice, but is there anything else on the market that's better value that you guys can recommend?

Hi
Have you had a look at Futronix systems? Futronix leaders in lighting, dimmers & home automation
They do a good range of stand alone wall dimmers and bigger systems for the whole house.
They can be controlled by iPhone and Android devices by companies such as Harmony, Demopad and iRule using Apps. They also have a great range of wall plates available in different colours and styles to suit all applications. Sales office and service centre in South London and worldwide.
Any questions please ask.

colburn

Standard Member
Thanks guys for the suggestions and recommendations will look into those as alternatives and see what they have to offer.
acttr
acttr
acttr

colburn

Standard Member
I looked into the lighting/ dimmer companies that you guys suggested and in the end went with Futronix. I liked their glass Eclipse switches which I chose to colour matched with the decor. Reliability is very important to me which seemed to rule out certain brands, but Futronix seemed to score well on that point and so far no problems.

I wanted to have an i-Phone App which could control the Home Cinema and the lighting. Demopad was the recommended choice for that, and also seems to be well integrated into the Futronix system. Price for the whole system was quite a bit below that of Lutron which would have been my first choice. Thanks again to you guys for your recommendations! So far pleased with the system, but will keep you posted on how it operates long-term. If I make any changes/ additions in the future will let you know as well.

colburn

Standard Member
Voted for Futronix for the above reasons I did look into Lutron as it was on my list but it was just too expensive and I wasn't taken with the wall switches they offered. Remember, it was just lighting I was looking for but C4 seemed to be more on the home automation side and not so dedicated for lighting.

Pleased with the choice and happy with the Futronix thus far.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom