1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the benefits of DV IN

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by oldgrumpy, May 12, 2003.

1. oldgrumpy

oldgrumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have a camcorder but I am considering buying one. What are the benefits to me of buying one with DV IN?

It seems to me that having got the video onto my PC and edited in something like Pinnacle I would have several options available; keep it on the PC, write it to a VCD, write it to a DVD if I had one, both of which allow me to play it on a standalone DVD palyer, write it to a VHS cassette. What advantage would I have in writing back to my camcorder over these options?

2. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

If you don't get DV IN now on a camcorder it will be impossible to add it afterwards. It works out cheaper on the editing front if you have a camcorder with DV IN as you can make VHS tapes via the camcorder then rather than having to buy a video editing piece of kit with Analogue output. Plus it is easier to make a master tape on DV and store that than any other format at the present time to be able to reuse it in furhter editing at a later stage.

Hope this helps

Mark

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not done it myself - as my camcorder already had dv in - but it'smy understanding that certain (although not all) camcorders can have the dv in enabled....

http://www.dv-in.com

4. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes this is true about certain models being able to have the DV IN enabled but this will not work on most current models now. It has been banned !!! Older models you can still do it on, just !!

It's all about the EU but thats a very long story......

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Understood - must try to keep up to date :blush: (know all about the EU bit though...)

6. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2