What are the Babylon 5 DVDs like?

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking of geting these on dvd. I have seen them all but I have heard that some of the dvds are of poor quality/wrong aspect ratio ect.

can anyone advise me about them? have the faults(if any )been fixed?

Is region 1 or region 2 better IE have they been cut, picture quality ect.

Thanks.
David.

Hi David,

I've got the 5 seasons on R2 DVD and I can't fault them.

All in widescreen, 5.1 etc...

Crusade (the spin-off show) was done pan-and-scan, and not widescreen for some obscure reason (there was a previous thread on this), but as far as I can tell everything is good with B5.

I'd've gone with round and shiny :D

I've got seasons 1-4 only watched the first 2 but I've been happy with them. As has been mentioned else where on the forums the image is somewhat grainy.

I've got all 5 seasons on R2 with the movie boxset and the original 'The Gathering/In The Beginning' on R1. I've also got Crusade on R2.

I would say if you can get them all in R1 then do so because:

Season 1 Boxset has some aspect ratio chopping and changing on the last episode of Disc 2 if I remember correctly.

Season 5 Boxset: the episode 'The Fall Of Centauri Prime' has the whole prologue section (the bit before the beginning credits) missing :mad: and the episode 'The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father' doesn't have the original credits that the show was aired with. What really angers me was that the R2 boxset was released some 10 months after the R1 boxset and Warner Bros still messed up! :thumbsdow Very sloppy.

The R1 boxsets are not blessed with these "features" as the R2 boxsets are.

Also the R2 B5 movie boxset is only 3 discs: Third Space / Call To Arms / River Of Souls, whereas the equivalent R1 movie collection is 5 discs: The Gathering / In The Beginning / Thirdspace / River Of Souls / A Call To Arms. The Gathering and In the Beginning contain extras that the original R2 (or original R1) releases don't have.

*EDIT* Sorry, you've hit a bit of a sore point as you can probably tell. :blush: :rolleyes:

S.

The aspect ratio problem on the R2 Season 1 box set was sorted out a long time ago. I bought a copy a few months after Warners said they were fixing it and it was fixed as promised.

the_pauley said:
The aspect ratio problem on the R2 Season 1 box set was sorted out a long time ago. I bought a copy a few months after Warners said they were fixing it and it was fixed as promised.
I'm pretty sure the issues with the R2 Season 5 box set still persist though and the R2 movie boxset is a very poor relation in comparison to the R1 version.

S.

the_pauley said:
They may have fixed the problem but there are still faulty sets around, my sister bought me Season 1 for xmas and it was the faulty version with the weird AR problems, tried writing and emailing Warner about getting a replacement but have never heard back.

Not necessarily, I've got seasons 1-4 and recently went on a 4 season marathon which took 2 weeks and can say that the aspect ratio problem is'nt as bad a problem as as most people make out - certainly, it does'nt make babylon 5 any less enjoyable but if your persnickety about such things, pick up the region 1 boxsets.
I plan to pick up the last season in r1 as there have been cuts and edits in the r2 version.

If I were buying today I'd get them all in R1 or as follows:

Season 1 - R1
Season 2 - No preference, R2 or R1
Season 3 - No preference, R2 or R1
Season 4 - No preference, R2 or R1
Season 5 - R1

Movie Collection Boxset - R1

Crusade - No preference, R2 or R1

S.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel