1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are the alternatives to a squeezebox?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JonLeach, Aug 3, 2004.

1. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi all,

i'm after purchasing a player to stream music from my pc, i am currently using i tunes, but also have many flac recordings. the other thing i want to do is copy my record collection to lossless format and stream that around the house.

i will possibly need 2 boxes, one wireless (downstairs) and the other wired to the nextdoor bedroom.

Re the lp > flac or apple lossless how do i go about doing it.

i forgot to mention, i will be plugging this into whischever sounds better. a meridian 606 dac or straight into my Rotel RSP1066

Cheers

Jon

2. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers for that , i am currently just looking at the product now, i was wondering on the quality of the sound, into my meridian 606 DAC, also i will want 2 units streamiong at the same time. i know the squeeze box can do this, running slimserver and has the bonus of checking whats been played on a pocket pc or LCD on the squeezebox. but can a apple aittunes? or any other product. are there better sounding wireless players?

Questions, questions questions, the problem with this is there is no way to hear these products in situ.

Jon

4. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like the AE has a digital optical out, anyway and I can't see any reason why you couldn't have two AE's plugged in at the same time, being fed wirelessly from your PC: one feeding to your bedroom and the other (if I understand correctly) downstairs to your DAC.

In terms of quality... digital's 'digital' - innit?! I'm curious myself!

5. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have had a look at the airtunes and my only concern is getting the music to the box, with a squeeze box you can use a remote, or pocket pc.

looks like i have answered my question. i think i will fly by the seat of my pants and buy one today.

Jon