What are the advantages of HDMI 1.3?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by carl15, Dec 23, 2006.

1. carl15

carl15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As title, what are the benfits of HDMI 1.3?
    I am itching to buy the new Toshiba HD-E1 unit but am wondering if I should hold of for the HD-XE1.
    I hear that the XE1 will have HDMI 1.3 which means that it will have a better picture due to being able to carry more information, eg colours/sound etc.
    Will this be apparent on normal HD movies or is this something of a talent to spot in reality?

Carl

2. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Yeah it will have HDMI 1.3, but unless you buy a new plasma, lcd , projector or AV amp that supports it i cant see any benefit from it, the only reason i'd get a XE1 is so you can use the analouge 5.1 outputs for HD sound to save buying an new amp

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    The benefits of HDMI V1.3 are well promoted on the hdmi.org site. Briefly, it has higher video bandwidth (The single link A connector now has similar capacity to the dual link B connector). This allows faster refresh rates and now supports deep colour, where each sub-pixel has 10 or 12 or more bits, rather than 8 bits to set the level. And it will work with RGB 4:4:4 coding, as well as 4:2:2 YCbCr. That means more colour resolution. V1.3 wil also support lossless compressed HD audio for AV amps that can decode it. Ther is also a new, smaller connector for camcorders.

However, those benefits are not as great as they sound, because V1.0 already supports 12 bit YCbCr 4:2:2 video, which is better than what is encoded in any broadcast or stored format, and will be for a considerable time. And V1.1 supports uncompressed HD audio, so as long as your player will de-compress the audio tracks, they can still be transferred to your AV amp digitally.

It seems the real benefit may be in future-proofing.

Nick

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    With respect to HD DVD the advantages are mostly marketing. Deep colour is not being used, nor are the raw codec outputs (we think). The extra bandwidth possible does not challenge 1080p displays at all (WAAAAY beyond this). You do have testing of cables for HDMI 1.3 however which will be good for long lengths. Basically HDMI 1.1 will do all you need.

5. carl15

carl15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys. I thought this would be the case.
    I went out today and bought the HD-E1 from my local Comet.
    It's a never ending thing, this entertainment sytem lark.
    I now want a suitable amp to play the true HD audio.
    Guess that will be my next purchase..;)

Carl

6. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have the same E1 (purchased today art currys) and the Yamaha RX-V1600. It sounds lke its decoding True Hd as the sound is so much better than before, but when I press display (while playing Constantine which is True HD) on the E1 remote it says Dolby + ????

Is True HD part of Dolby + transport stream, or should it say True HD ???

Great DVD play. Go get one.

R.
    Nigel