what are the 3 top plasmas out ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by chrisuk01, Mar 19, 2006.

1. chrisuk01

chrisuk01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    am looking to buy a plasma tv, as after reading forums, i am under the impression plasma is still better than lcd, when it comes to the larger screens such as 42"+

i am after a plasma of similar size 42" - 46". obvisuoly it needs to be hdtv now, as thats the main reason i am upgrading.

price range around £2500.

2. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I thnk most people regard the Pioneer and Panasonic range of plasmas to be the best in that price range, your looking at 42" for th pany or 43" for the pioneer.

Andy

3. chrisuk01

chrisuk01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    what is the top range plasam out at moment in this size bracket ? out of curioity please :)

4. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Although the Pioneers and Panasonics are allegedly the best plasma's. I think you will find the posters on here with Hitachi 7200 plasma's would argue a good case for it. And from what i have seen it is good.

I myself can't decide on the hitachi for 1400 1 year warranty
    or
    the Panny PX60 for 1630 + 5 year warranty

:confused:

5. Keithcun

Keithcun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would say that was a bit of a no brainer to be honest.

6. heath

heath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where can you get PX60 with 5 year waranty for that price (& Is it 42"??)

7. Mattster12

Mattster12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That'll be from JL (John Lewis) using a price match from somewhere like H Preston I guess, and yes 42" ;)

I've been doing alot of reading up on plasma's and the info and opinions on here have been invaluble so thanks. I've decided to go for the Pioneer 436XDE, I spoke to JL Sheffield today and there currently out of stock but should be getting some in by the end of the month :) Now just gotta find a good price match for it as she quoted me about £2700, but I'm sure I can get it cheaper.

8. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yep that be the one JL (Bluewater) pricematch with H Preston for Screen only £1600 + free 5 year warranty

9. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Why would you say that? I have a budget of around £2000 and i want an amp and speakers so do I go overbudget for the Panny or get what a good majority of posters on here claim to be a top plasma for lot less and no go so over my budget!!!

I have seen both screens and to me there is nothing to choose between the two of them in PQ

10. ashv12

ashv12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Top 3 IMO are the Fujitsu p42XHA58ES (not out yet) 42PHD8 Panny third would probably the Pio MXE1 (panny PWD8 is very very close to these but is £800 cheaper drop your budget to under £2k and everything moves up aplace with teh PWD8 taking 3rd place on PQ but first place on VFM (fujitsu is likely to be £2,700 ish

NOTE none of these are TV's they are all panels no TV comes close IMO

12. jetman

jetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon - I'm looking to buy my first plasma. Really want the 436xde, but i don't really need the tuners (have ntl) and £2800 is a bit much. Would you say the 42phd8 and 43mxe1 can give same quality picture? All I know is what I've read in reviews in mags and online, and they only have the ones with tuners. Will be wathing normal def tv from ntl, upscaled dvd and connect pc.:confused:

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Those fateful letters, PC. Listen to HD, you really need a panel, not a TV. They are all at least partly nobbled for PC use, I'd be leaning towards the PHD8 I think, PC to VGA, maybe a scart board for NTL, and HDMI or DVI for DVD player. With a HDMI switching amp, you can probably switch PC and DVD player into a DVI board.

14. jetman

jetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - but could you possibly expand on why you think these are better than the 436xde? So that an idiot (i.e. me) can grasp it....:lease: The phd8 wil be over 2k when I buy the extra boards I need, but the mxe1 seems good at 1399. But then I read in the april issue of What HiFi sound & vision: "use a media pc to feed the pioneer some HD content, and you really will have pets, children and drunken adults wandering into the television screen - it's that real!" They seem to think it's good with pc feed...:rolleyes: And the most important to me is tv and movies....pc use is secondary(, but will be used regulary). If I buy the mxe1, will it be as good as an xde on everything? Is tuners all it's missing? What to do, what to do......:confused:

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    MXEis great for PC use gaphic display etc but with no HDCP capable input its going to cause pain for HD stuff.PHD8 has no such worries and i prefer the PQ forfilm images on the panny the Pio is a bit more fragile re burn in and inputs more limited, MXE and PHD both have much better processing than the XDE and critically the analogue inputs havent been knobled on the MXE and the panny to make HDMI look better..............

16. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Pioneer 43MXE1 is cheap because it's not HD Ready and about a year or two old now. New model 42MXE10/11 has replaced it but will be back to £2k bracket.

I love the MXE, but I just prefer the added black response and contrast of the Panasonic 42PHD8. Boards and things can be a palaver, go to a decent dealer who can work out a total system solution for you so you don't end up buying something you don't need.

The new Fujitsu model (P42XHA58) promises very big things. Same glass as the Panasonic above, but with Fujitsu's better build quality, style and backup and nutter AVM-II processing. Fans of the Pioneer XDE black gloss finish (but will happily do without the XDEs screen burn, juddery image and pain in the ass media box issues) look this way.

And one to get MAW fired up - NEC. Always as good as they ever have been, just ignore Maw's rantings. He obviously had a load of duffers, the one I rigged up for my stepfather last year is truly stunning. But that is older model anyway, check out this sexy mother!!

http://www.nec.co.uk/NEW_PlasmaSync_PDP_TV_T1000_.aspx

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've still got the photos of those NEC duffers, Liam!

18. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Liam

According to the specs for the above-mentioned NEC plasma, there's only 1x DVI and no HDMI !!

Looks aren't everything:confused: Future proofing eg connections, should be a priority IMHO.

Del:smoke:

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i dont think it loooks nice in the Pic whats so special about it liam? or is it a 30 spots type item?

20. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    That one's just the cheapo TV, was only saying it's a tasty wee thing.

The NEC to have is the 42XR4 monitor. HD Ready, 2 HDMI, proper plasma monitor (not TV).

21. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
  22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    They look just like an MXE actually, ie not much. No native res at 50Hz on dvi though, and internal refresh problems. The lack of HDMI is not an issue, it has HDCP on DVI, which is good enough for me. Why oh why the OBSESSION with having loads of connections at the panel? Just how many cables do you guys want to bury in the wall?

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Good news for cable manufacturers tho! why sell 2 cables when you can sell 9 to every plasma buyer!

24. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Any news on a price for this Liam, and 50/60hz native over HDCP HDMI/DVI?

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    that topic has its own thread!

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Well if you stick a Pioneer side by side with either a Panny or a Fuji P42HTA51ES, and feed them HD material (Component or HDMI), you will never buy the Pioneer, it really is very obvious, so obvious I have to wonder at the magazine reviewers eyes somtimes.... I held a 5 minute session for several distributors and then left them to argue it out between them, an hour later and with much twiddling of all the screens they all agreed that the Pioneer isn't the one...... I can tell you what to look for but that wouldn't be fair really........ Buy a screen and if you want digital TV (freeview) buy a £40 add on unit (or even a £90 one) it will be a better bet and cheaper......Far more flexible when you want to upgrade to a HD set top box (you can put the freeview box in the bedroom etc.....!!!).

27. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    And I am still arguing with the Japanese....... They now have a digital test pattern (which I went over to HQ adn showed them at the weekend) to show what native res can do but I'm still not holding my breath....

28. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Final spec is still not set yet but around £2600 is a good bet retail.

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    :rotfl: Graham are you sure you mean 51?

30. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Yep I really do...... Frankly the Pioneer 436RXE picture and processing is not even in the same league, DVD or HD via component or HDMI. I and around 130 others were amazed it was that obvious..... So much so that even people from Japan, Germany, France and Israel all came over to see it, all had the same opinion and most of them were current Pioneer dealers..... Personally I thought the Pioneer would look as good or better, it simply doesn't, our President simply could not contain his happiness at what he saw.... Some of the clips showed some laughable differences..... I told you to start reconsidering your view of the 42" FHP panel, things are very different now......
    Imagine what the PQ will be like with the XGA 42" panel.......:smashin:

It is amazing what a proper setup side by side comparision does for your product.... I honestly can't see any Pioneer dealer trying this in a shop unless they want to actually sell the customer the better performing screen.:D
    Try it yourself, for sure the Pioneer is not a bad screen at all but apart from one or two points in its favour it is overall second best. Now if the Pioneer web prices ares to be believed it is around the same price and has an inferior warranty. At list price the Pioneer is a fair bit dearer so you even have a load of cash left over for a eecent Freeview box with the Fujitsu which naturally you can use with any kit in any room when you finally take the plunge for a HD SKY box...... This is common sense no nonsense advice.;)