What are some films in 4K that truly need the big screen?

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, after only ever experienced home cinema on a 65 inch OLED, I’ve finally been able to get a projector and screen. It’s a fairly basic one and only (only!) 92 inch but is mind blowing to me.

As such, and looking to upgrade my 4K collection, I’m wondering for suggestions of films that truly make a difference on a large screen. I know all will, but those that especially NEED the extra inches.

So far, the Matrix, Gravity and Endgame all fit the bill.

Over to you!

Spartacus looks great on a big screen.

I'd also say if your projector is capable of 3D, even if you weren't a fan of 3D in the past, it's well worth checking out some 3D titles. It really is a totally different experience on a projector compared to a TV.

I like to watch to alot the earlier films that it's unlikely to Have watch on the big screen, the cinematography and colour where just different as mentioned Spartacus, the Vikings, classics like breakfast at tiffany's, the sting, wonderful life oh the list is huge, these films aren't razor sharp either but the bluray transfers are fairly good and they look clean and very authentic for that cinematic feel at home.

As for new movies the recent Godzilla vs King Kong the title says it all, but the movie was a visual master piece and for that alone is a must to watch on my book.

Last edited:
If you want to go with something cool and retro, then The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is coming out in 4K soon. It's the landmark Italian murder/mystery thriller, and about 25 years ago, I got to see it on the big screen, where it was stunning - rating as one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had. This is a film composed to be watched on as large a screen as possible. One of the coolest shots in Italian film history is at the end.

The 4K edition of Suspiria assaults your senses like no other movie, bringing you colours you've never seen before on any home format. It's a thing of absolute beauty.

Flash Gordon is a blast, with the 4K disc really making the most of the cool production design. And Ornella Muti in UHD.

If you want to combine the last two examples, then Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 will look fill your field of vision perfectly. I would as suggest Mission Impossible: Fallout, as the IMAX pieces have a clarity which is pretty much unmatched - although the changing aspect ratio might annoy those with a constant-height system.

To each their own but I prefer watching 4K HDR films on capable TVs over Projector simply because the TV can do HDR better and this is extremely important to me from a visual standpoint. Otherwise, if you have a light controlled room and a big screen, Projector can offer a more immersive experience especially with older films.

For 3D, Projector is the way to go. I remember being completely mesmerised watching TinTin Secrets of the Unicorn on a Projection setup. It's a completely difference experience.

I was absolutely blown away by The Dark Knight in the cinema.

It looks great on a 4K TV but those fantastic IMax cityscapes really need to be seen on as big a screen as possible. The rooftop shots will give you vertigo :p

Dunkirk!

Lawrence of Arabia in 4K is a sight to behold

To each their own but I prefer watching 4K HDR films on capable TVs over Projector simply because the TV can do HDR better
Depends on the projector and video processor.......

top end projectors with a lumagen or madVR in the right environment will blow away any reasonable size tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom