1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are plasmas like in a bright room?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Alexg, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is something I've overlooked so far and is the reason I am getting a plasma.
    I currently have a 2200 lumen DLP projector but it is useless in the daytime so I'm being greedy and plan to put a 42" plasma on the wall and then pull a screen down infront at night to watch films.

What is a plasma like in a room with daylight, is it similar to a CRT?

Thanks.

2. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not quite as bright as a CRT, but that's partly down to the fact that it tends to be a bigger screen. If your room is really sunny, nothing will perform. On dull days or in rooms with smallish windows plasma is fine.

3. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of spending several k's on a plasma, why not purchase a blackout blind(s) for your window(s)? Then you can watch your projector any time of day.

I have a plasma, and I also have a blackout blind on my single large living room window. The plasma has been ISF calibrated for low lighting, so is slightly dimmer than factory settings. Factory settings on plasmas tend to be far too bright - and sticking with them could seriously shorten the life of your plasma.

Even so, plasma screens are far brighter than projectors and you should have no problem in daylight - if a CRT is bright enough then a plasma should be fine. As Bernard suggests it depends how much daylight you actually get in your room.

Mat

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Curtains? LCD are better for really brightrooms conservatories etc
    but you can some bloody bright plasmas...ALis are bright as are NEC, Panny arent but then black isnt grey either.......

5. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dvdsubtitles,

The room has 2 windows and on sunny days is quite bright, but if you say plasmas are about the same as a crt then I should be OK?

There are other reasons I want a plasma too.
    For normal tv viewing I don't want to have to start up the projector and darken the room out.
    For selecting mp3s to play I don't want to have to start the projector up.
    Plus plasmas arn't serveral k's anymore, looking at a PW7 for around £1200

*Edit* The screen doesn't have direct sunlight on it, but the room its self is bright.

6. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pio 504 myself which is quite bright, but I'm not familiar with Pannys. If there is no direct sunlight I'm sure you wont have any problems. Hard to say without actually seeing your room. If a normal CRT is easily bright enough then I'd say you'll be fine with a plasma (or LCD but then I'm even less qualified to comment on these!).

mat