1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are Nintendo VIP points for?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by halfacandan, Aug 1, 2005.

1. halfacandan

halfacandan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I've heard rumours that I can get free stuff with my points, but all I can see on the site is a bunch of wallpapers for my desktop and MP3s. Are these rumours a big pile of poo or can I find games and the like?

Thanks
    Dan

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You can get games, controllers & consoles but they are put on nintendos website in limited quantities every month or so, you just have to keep checking

3. halfacandan

halfacandan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    How many points do you need for a typical game/controller etc?

Thanks
    Dan

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    3000/5000 ish

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    Yeah but its a total rip off.

You get 500 points for a console and 250 points for a game that you purchase and register. 5 points per visit, only once per day.

I currently have 7560 points and the items available are rubbish.

If you think about it to get 1000 points you'd have spent about £120 on 4 games (£30 each) or £180 on 2 consoles (£90 each).

Back to my points total. 5000 is of consoles + games. 2560 is from visits. I could get a ferrari with the equivalent money. Not a game that costs 10000 points

I wouldn't mind if the items were decent. But as usual the UK has pulled the short straw. Some of the stuff on the Jap site is awesome.

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Last months items included

Star Fox Assault
    Metroid Prime 2
    Pikmin 2
    Metroid: Fusion
    Zelda: Minish Cap
    Special Red "Mario" Controller
    Gamecube Hardware (RE4 Bundle)
    Triforce GBASP

They dont last long though

8. halfacandan

halfacandan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Even the french Site has The Legend of Zelda Edition Collector for 4500. I guess that there are just too many gamers in the UK & Ireland :(

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    yeah these normally about 500 of each game, they last about 1/2 a day until they sell out

10. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah but its a total rip off. :mad:

2nd.

11. halfacandan

halfacandan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    On another note...I've got an unused 250 VIP point insert from Pikmin 2 but I can't register it as I have already registered another copy. If anyone wants to swap it for one of their duplicates, I'd be much obliged, so long as they are NOT from:

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    Mario Kart
    Metroid Prime 1 or 2
    Paper Mario
    Pikmin 2
    Pokemon Collosseum
    Zelda Wind Waker
    Zelda Four Swords

I'd rather we traded them by post rather than via email.

Thanks
    Dan

12. Mikari

Mikari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What were the points costs? Might be worth checking it on the first of the month from now on.

13. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The UK "Stars" scheme is a complete waste of time, and a farce if you ask me.

They hardly ever have anything worth the time and / or effort, and when they do, they always put them up at stupid times, liek 3am, so by the time you realise that they had something decent (Like games or hardware) they are gone...

So far, in two years, I have missed out on nearly everything. All I have gotten is Pokemon Box. I now have over 20,000 Star points, and the only thing to use them on are stupid wallpapers or screensavers (Both of which I will never ever use) ~ Besides, if you buy the game they are linked to, you get the exact same ones free when you register that particular game.

Why can't they make it more exciting like the Japanese site? They always have great and rare items to buy, like signed games, and signed posters of Miyamoto. They even have some kewl LE hardware from time to time, and some great collectables too.

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    Because living in the UK automatically means you get _____ by technology companies.

Thats why I only got my PSP yesterday. Oh, the VIP points are a primitive way of mind control to buy Nintendo

15. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Why are people complaining that it's a rip-off? It's not costing you anything to join and, provided you check regularly, you can get some good freebies. OK, so they're only in limited quantities, but then Nintendo are a business, not a charity! You don't buy the games, just because they've got points, you buy them because you want the game. It's not as if Nintendo are charging a membership fee to join the Stars scheme! Just because people don't check regularly enough and miss out on things, they think it's a rip-off - sounds more like sour grapes to me!

It was through the Stars Catalogue that I was able to get my DS a month or so earlier than the rest of the UK.

OK, so some of the stuff on other country's sites is better than the UK's, but it's still something for nothing!

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    errrr

OK, lets say you buy 2nd hand or cheap; £50 a console, £10 a game

so £40 = 4 games = 1000 points
    so £400 = 40 games = 10,000 points

so you think being charged £400 for a £100 item available for 10,000 points is value for money? Thats a very conservative price. You're more likely to pay £20-£30 for a game, £70-£100 for a console

Nintendo Jap has excellent items - that actually are worth it

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I bought my GC new over a year ago for £40 from index. I personally wouldn't pay more than £25 for a used gc.

18. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You still don't get it do you?

If you pay for something that turns out to be rubbish, then you're being ripped off. However, if something is free, even though you may not be that keen on it and think it's a waste of time, you're still not being ripped off.

:lesson:

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    Star Catalogue items are "bought" by points. Points are earned by purchasing items. If you have to spend £400 for 10,000 points (the best I've seen is console + game) for a £120 prize, how is that good or free?

Yes, technically its free, but you have to spend a decent amount of cash to get enough points. Itd be cheaper to buy the items yourself

20. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you really wanted a particular item then yes, rather than buying lots of games just to get the points, it would be cheaper just to buy it. But, unless you're particularly stupid, NOBODY buys games just to get the points. You buy them because you want the game. The fact that some come with points and others don't, will have no bearing whatsoever on whether you buy the game or not.

It's just like any reward scheme. People who spend a lot of money with a particular company are able to exchange their reward points for better gifts than those that don't. However, no scheme ever gives away gifts that are worth more than the customer has spent in order to get the gift. If they did, I doubt they'd be in business for long!

Also, as with all reward schemes, some are better than others, and yes, the UK Stars Catalogue doesn't compare favourably with Japan's, but at the end of the day, it's still better than having nothing whatsoever.

If Nintendo had never started the Stars Catalogue, I doubt people would be complaining that they're being ripped off because they weren't getting anything for buying the games. After all, how many other games companies run such a scheme? However, Nintendo did bring in the scheme, and all people can seem to do is moan about it. It's the same with anything in life - you give people something, and they always end up wanting more rather than being happy with what they've got.

So I'll still stick to my view that I fail to see how anybody is being ripped off by the Stars scheme.