1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are my rights?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by zman, Jul 2, 2003.

1. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello All,

I've been reading these forums for a while now and got some excellent advice and also learnt a lot. This is the first time i'm posting a message so any help would be much appreciated.

I bought a JVC AV-28R250EKSC from Comet about 4 months ago and I've been really happy with it. It now has a problem which isn't a major thing or something i havn't noticed before but as i have a guarentee i thought i'd get it checked out. The problem is that when i switch the tv off from the remote and then swith it on again a red horizontal line comes up for a few seconds and also the centre speaker buzzes slightly. An engineer came out on Saturday but could not do anything as JVC are closed on Saturdays. He called me back a few day later and said the tv will need to be taken away and a part will need to be replaced which may take 14 days.

I spoke to Comet because I do not want a 4 month old tv to be opened up and messed around with and i'd like a new tv instead. I also dont have the box which means it will get bashed about and scratched, on top of that they do not provide replacement tv's while mine gets fixed.

Sorry for the long post but what should i do? Should I let them take it and replace the part or should i insist on a new tv? They seem to be very stubborn, what can i say to get them to change their mind.

Would be greatful for any advice.

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    You will have to let them try and repair it. Only after they have tried to fix it can you play the not fit for purpose card seeing as you have used it for four months. Make sure the repair is under warranty. :(

3. 100mph

100mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Others may be better experts at this than me, but I'll have a go...

The sale of goods act does make provision for faulty goods. I'm not sure, but I do believe that you can demand your money back if the goods are found to be faulty. The period for this is quite short - no more than a month, possibly less.

Beyond that period, the retailer does have an obligation to ensure they goods they provide are free from faults and defects for one year. It is entirely the retailers discretion whether they provide you with a replacement item, or repair the original item - it's their call on this. They can chose to provide you with a refund if beyond economic repair, or repair/replacement is impracticable.

I do recall, however, if the retailer elects to repair the item, and it subsequently fails again, you waive your right to have a full money refund later.

I'm sure an 'expert' will be along later.

Best of luck,

100mph :hiya:

4. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Zman,

I had a tv comet, that had to make numerous visits to their repair centre, i wanted a replacement while it was gone. Initially they kept saying the dont give out replacements, but I insisted and eventually they let me have one.

When it came it was a 25" sony trinitron, was a bit old but did its purpose. It had a sticker on the back saying 'loan tv no.105' ??

I got a refund from comet for my philips P+ because of dark bars. I reported this outside their 28 day refund policy, but they refunded as they couldn't fix the problem. (Took 6 months though!!)

Good Luck :hiya:

5. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your views guys, but if I do sent it to get repaired which i think will be the case, im worried about it going without packaging and getting scratched. They now tell me I can have a replacement but there is a waiting list, and it could be a portable, how silly is that, by the time my turn comes up I'll have my tv back.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds daft, but when mine went in, i took close up pictures of the tv, so if it was scratched I had some proof. Always seemed to come back ok though.

Maybe just my paranoia :devil:

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I've had personal experience from Comet service centres and it's been largely poor (over several occasions & differing items). As already suggested take photos showing as much detail as possible (try and get a screen shot with the date from teletext) also make a note of the serial number just in case an error means you get a different set. :nono: I sent a Sony tv for a minor repair which after 2 weeks in the centre suddenly needed a tube - which had to be specially ordered as there were none available (it took a further week for them to inform me of this), a few weeks passed and i recieved a call to telling me they had 'good news and bad news'. Good news is the tube arrived this morning and it's the correct one - wondering at this point what the bad news could be - the tube arrived 'broken in transit', so back to square one. Short version of long story, Comet eventually sent the tv back with a new tube - but with the worst geometry you could imagine. All i'm suggesting is tread carefully and keep as much evidence as possible to corroborate your sets condition etc and package it as well as possible even if that means wrapping it in 50m of bubble wrap.

8. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My girlfriends dad bought a 36" tosh from Comet last year. He is on his third set now. He had no problems getting them swapped and it was the Hull Comet superstore.

I always go for the "I bought my television from your store specifically because of your honest reputation. At the time of purchase I was assured if anything was to go wrong with my television I would be able to ask for a replacement". It has worked for me.

Tom

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I worked for comet and this - amongst NUMEROUS other reasons - is a prime example of why I left.

The retail chain is perfectly capable of dealing with customers efficiently and with all the care & attention you need - providing you fork out the preposterous amounts asked for extended warranties and service care.

It's company policy to simply repair the goods should something go wrong with them after 14 days of purchase (not the 28 days I believed to be the legal requirement - but comet is an Elite chain of electrical retail after all).

After that the 'warranty' kicks in and comet will do their best to do a bad job of repairing the television. There isn't going to be the 'quality control' that we'd like and it's highly likely that you'll get your television back with significantly poorer performance than what you paid for.

It's at this point that you're legally viable to demand a replacement product/refund, because you have to allow them to attempt to repair it to the standard of the product you paid for - and if they don't (which will most likely be the case) you're all set.

I never EVER knew of a loans policy for products being repaired, and you'd be lucky to get that portable tv you mention.

As for the transport of products to be repaired - they'd typically demand that you bring the TV into store (i'd be shocked if they actually fetched it from your house - at least without a fee). After that a sweaty man they call a courier comes to pick it up with his dodgy blue van and takes it away to throw on a pile of broken products in a suspicious warehouse. It's not that the courier doesn't take care of what he's doing - it's just that more often than not there's only one and it's difficult to get your arms around a 32" tv, never mind grapple it about like a teddy bear. So it's also possible that some sort of cosmetic damage will be inflicted on your television - photo evidence and time/date proof seems the best idea (although store staff would probably ignore them anyway).

It's a tricky situation this anyway. If you're buying a teleivison that's come straight from a manufacturer you'd assume nothing to go wrong with it for a fair time after purchase - so the amount of trust you need to place in retailers would seem relatively low. That said if something were to go wrong with your television the big retail chains don't invest 10% of the cash or effort into post-sales-customer-care that they do making the store look nice and paying the friendly sales bod Smeagol-Inducing levels of commission to sell what's most profitable. Having been 'behind the scenes (so to speak), I wouldn't recommend the big retail chains for the purchases of anything bigger than a toaster.

10. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just to update everyone who have been helpful in giving me some advice.
    Two Comet guys game on Saturday to pick up the tv. They carried the tv into their big lorry and bubble wrapped it and tied it to the side, I watched while they did this and was satisfied that my tv was ok.

The guy said that Comet have changed the way they collect tv's that need repairing because they used to get damaged a lot. They now alway have two people collecting the tv and they bring the lorry thay they normaly use to deliver goods.

just hope they don't take too long as im watching a 21" tv which i had before, obviously I didn't tell them I had it as i wanted to get a good loan tv. I hope they can't fix it coz then I can get a refund and buy the same tv cheaper from the internet and get a better service.

11. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my TV online......

Took 2 months to arive.
    Arived damaged....
    Sent it back......
    One month later.....
    The same tv came back.....

MMMMM was not 2 happy....

Got my money back and bought it for £40 more three miles away.

You pays yer money... you takes your chances ;)

12. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know this is sly but anyone know the best way to get a refund from comet after having my tv for 4 months. Its just i bought my 28" version for £600 and if i got a refund i could go on the net and buy the 32" version for £670.

13. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can actually buy the 32" AV32T25EK from Curry's (which is the Nicam equivalent of your television) for £597 - give or take £1.

If you get your refund at comet for the television being plain faulty they'll give you £600 worth of Comet Vouchers (joy!).

Ask them to pricematch the Curry's price for this TV and you'll have your 32".

This arises two problems - Comet still get your money, and you lose the Pro Logic sound.

I'd go for it and save up for a separate surround system if I were you.

But in all honesty I can't see them giving you your money back.

14. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Further updates for anyone who's remotely interested.

My tv came back after two weeks and not damaged, but after watching it for a few days I noticed the problem with the red line is still there so now I have booked an engineer to come and have a look. I guess they'll have to take it away for another two weeks, I hope they just give me my money back coz I hate being without my tv and not even getting a loan tv.

15. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zman

Your being too soft on Comet. You have paid a lot of money for your tv. I would ring thenm up and cause hell until you either get a brand new tv or a full refund.

Why not ask them if you can upgrade to the 32" set even if it means paying bit more?

Goodluck

Tom

16. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Tommo, that's a good idea, the 32" version is only a £100 more. The engineer is coming on Saturday, im gonna see what he say. My feeling is he will say it needs to go into the workshop again, thats when im gonna call Comet and demand i get a new tv.

17. gepree68

gepree68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they offer you a refund, can you demand that it be in cash (or put back onto your credit card) rather in Comet Vouchers?

Are you definitely sure they will price match when you are paying with vouchers? (Jessops don't).

After all, you can only spend Comet vouchers at Comet, so you cannot say "Give me a price match, or I'll spend these Comet vouchers at Curry's down the road".

Geoff

18. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    With vouchers you are not in a position to shop around therefore you have lost any incentive to get Comet to price match other retailers.You will find yourself in a very weak (read impossible) negotiating position.

19. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    At the end of the day i'll be happy with vouchers coz then I can add £100 and get the 32" version, but the problem is that I need to get a refund first.

20. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The engineer came on saturday and like i suspected couldn't do anything and said it had to go into the workshop for repairs. I called Comet yesterday and demanded to speak to a manager and told her that I did not want th tv to go for repairs again. I told her I wanted a refund, she said they needed to get the tv into the workshop and asses how big the problem is then decide if its a major or minor fault. She was so stubborn so I had to give in but told her that I do not want a part changed again.

Is there anything else I can say to persuade her to give me a refund, even if it is in Comet vouchers?

21. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think that the TV has to be taken into the workshop for Comet to give you a refund because they will have to identify the problem to their JVC supplier.

22. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    More updates from this on going saga. Comet picked up my tv last Weds. The Manager told me she would call me on the Friday which she didn't even though I tried to get hold of her so many times only to be told that she is in meetings. She called me on Monday to tell me that my tv is being looked at but the engineer's can't see the problem. I'm finding that Comet don't know what "Customer Service" means and if the Manager doesn't know how to talk to customers then how are their staff supposed to know. In short I've told her that there is a problem with my tv which I don't want back because it has had parts changed and been tinkered with and she's saying they need to test it further, can anyone suggest what I can do to get this sorted.

Thanks in advance.

Zman

23. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If you paid by cc then get the company involved.I posted a link a couple of weeks ago for trading standards...http://www.consumercomplaints.org.uk . Get them involved as well.

24. yetti

yetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  25. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Finally the manager phoned me today and told me that the problem had occured and I could get a replacement or a refund depending on what the store manager says. I must say the service I've received from Comet has been abysmal especially the rudeness I got from a manager.

Anyway thanks to all who gave me advice and got me through this ordeal.

Zman