What are my rights with refunds?

Tidy_Sammy

Hello all, I bought an Onkyo 607 receiver at the start of February, recently the screen died on it, it also runs very hot, which I'm disliking, the company in question is happy to repair but not to refund (they say due to the time since purchase), are they correct or should I push for my refund?

Thanks in advance...:)

dts_boy

they are correct. did you not do your research on these forums - Onkyo's are prone to running hot but i don't think it affects their performance unless you are enclosing them in a tight space.

Tidy_Sammy

Thanks for the swift reply, my main issue was with the fact that it's already got a fault.
'Your consumer rights' book states that according to new regulations (European Directive 1999/44/EC) which came into force in 2003, 'If goods fail to conform to the contract at any time, within 6 months of delivery, they will be presumed to have been in breach at the date of delivery. Therefor, if a product develops a fault after several months, it will be presumed to have been faulty when you bought it.'

Maybe this is no use though? Might just have to settle for a repair if that's the case.

dts_boy

i may be wrong, i thought that it was 28 days.
not sure if online/distance sales makes any difference though.

dazza1011

Novice Member
they are correct. .
Wrong
Sales of Goods Act applies in this case as the item is faulty under 6 months so he is entitled for a refund for faulty product.

and anyway an amp should last longer than 6 months

give these a try they will give you all the neccessary info

Consumer Direct

just out of interest who is the company ?

Tidy_Sammy

Thanks a lot for your reply Dazza, I have hope now! The ordered online through a company called 'ExceptionalAV'... maybe you know them? :)

Geege

Yes, you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act here, and should request a full refund. In addition, if you paid for the goods using a credit card you are also covered under section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act, so your credit card bank is jointly liable.

Last edited:

Graham27

Tidy_Sammy said:
Hello all, I bought an Onkyo 607 receiver at the start of February, recently the screen died on it, it also runs very hot, which I'm disliking, the company in question is happy to repair but not to refund (they say due to the time since purchase), are they correct or should I push for my refund?
Hello Tidy_Sammy :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they are correct.

The section you've quoted from the EC directive is indeed accurate, it does mean that the retailer are liable to put things right. However, the remedy is really up to them. You can ask for a refund, but if they feel that a refund is disproportionately costly compared to a repair, they can insist on a repair.

One thing to bear in mind is that the return process shouldn't inconvenience the consumer, so if the repair was going to take some time then you could possibly refuse a repair and try to demand a refund based on that.

Obviously you can still push for a refund anyway, no harm in trying ;)

Last edited:

Tidy_Sammy

Thanks for the information guys, still slightly confused but I'm going to E-mail them tonight and see if I can get anywhere, I'll update and let you guys know how I get on..:)

nheather

Suspended
Must admit, from what I have read from the SOGA I'm inclined to agree with the retailer and Graham27.

There is no doubt that they are responsible for remedying the problem and to do so in a reasonable time such that the customer is not unduly inconvienced. This depends on the goods (some like a freezer) they should provide a spare whilst the repair is being done. A general rule of thumb for other good is 1 calendar month.

For the others (Geege and dazza1011) that claim that the SOGA allows you to demand a refund, can you provide a link please. Not saying it's not the case but I have never been able to find it in writing.

Cheers,

Nigel

Geege

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
I have not read it all again yet to confirm what I believe is right. But my understanding is that after 28 days and within 5 years any electrical item must be fit for purpose and such if any fault occurs the retailer/manufacturer must be given a reasonable opportunity to repair or replace. If the fault then persists then a refund can be demanded.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Steve - you are actually using "fit for purpose" colloquially which is not helpful because you are quoting the SGA. Anyone who has read section 14 will know what I am referring to

But you are right. The retailer are entitled to attempt a repair or replacement and do not have to issue a refund straight away, demand or not

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Yes mate my "experience" is just from consumer tv programs and forums and the Daily Mail rip off letters pages:D

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
They have the right to repair it first if possible, if not they can offer a replacement and then if not available a refund.

It is a shame when a product so new develops a fault but thats the way the cookie crumbles in life. Providing the fault is fixed then you should have no problems, or if another problem occurs, make sure when you send it back to them they check to see if it was related.

As for the being hot thing, hmm, most AV amps will get very hot in use. Check the efficiency rating, the lower the percentage, the hotter the amp will get.

My Denon 3803 gets quite toasty which is why its in a completely open rack with a good 25cm clearance above it. Also my MF A5 stereo amp gets hot (740w consumption for a 250wpc amp...heh) when drive up to reasonable volume levels.....again, plenty of clearance on all sides.

Check your manual for what Onkyo recommend for placement and if you are not abiding by that, then you have no grounds for complaint as you have ignored their advice.

Tidy_Sammy

The receiver has TONS of space to ventilate, it isn't closed in at any side, I didn't realise the range had this flaw when I bought it, so I'll do more research next time, no other receiver I've saw gets nearly as hot...:eek:

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Are the other receivers you've seen as powerful though? My old Sherwood 6090 only got mildly hot compared to my Denon....but then my Denon is around twice as powerful just in the amp section, nevermind the fact it has about 10 times the processing power.....lol...never forget just how much heat processors kick out ;)

Tidy_Sammy

Are the other receivers you've seen as powerful though? My old Sherwood 6090 only got mildly hot compared to my Denon....but then my Denon is around twice as powerful just in the amp section, nevermind the fact it has about 10 times the processing power.....lol...never forget just how much heat processors kick out ;)
I'm now using a Marantz 6004 as my main receiver and it doesn't get nearly as hot, of course to some people the extra heat may benefit them and save them on their heating bill! :D

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Thats why I love my equipment, in the winter I dont have the radiator on in my room, in fact I often have the window open! AV amp kicking out heat, TV kicking out heat, Subwoofer (550w SVS) kicking out heat and an 800w PC kicking out heat.....toasty :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom