• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What are labour for?

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
I struggle to see with the current leadership who Labour are trying to woo?

Their electoral strategy seems to consist of having a base of 'legacy' voters and then going boo hiss look at the nasty party vote for us, like some sort of moral blackmail.

But I can't see any of the core labour principles here, what is being done about jobs especially youth unemployment for example?

The cost of living crisis, is something I can actually get on board with, but it has been devalued to little more than a soundbite rather than a nucleus of policies.

As a brand Labour seems to have losts its way, slashed its prices, reduced its quality and just tried to shovel sh*t out into the market before someone realises its under new management and they haven't got a clue, simply trading on a name with past glories associated with it. There becoming like a political Goodmans or more aptly Bush, bought by old people as they remember the brand fondly.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Be nice if Wallace would stay as leader for another decade.

D

Deleted member 13294

Labour believed that if they got their core vote out, they would win in a general election with UKIP hoovering up lots of tory support. Appealing to their core means lots of class-war type comments and policies.

I think the problem for them now is that two things are threatening their ability to get their core support out. The most obvious issue is that Miliband just doesn't have credibility as a potential PM. The new issue is that one of the few policies they have come out with is to reject a referendum on the EU, and UKIP have showed that at least some of Labours core support are anti-EU.

I'd expect to see a change to one of these before the election. Miliband to go, or a referendum to be promised.

Otherwise I think Labours election strategy is seriously compromised

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Need to get rid of their main liability. Who'd have guessed that they'd replace their worst ever leader/PM with someone just as inept?
It wasn't the party faithful that chose EM
Brother David was the popular choice but brother Ed stabbed him in the back by getting into bed with the Unions.
It was the unions block votes that got their man the leadership.

FairyFeller

Banned
Just? I think sandwich man beast lightbulb breath.

Who cares how he ate it, its what went in it, if its not brown sauce, then its just not Manwhich .

Milly.jpg

In all seriousness, he has vote ability of Ian Duncan Smith or William Hague. Shallow and vain count!

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Not far enough.

The only others that immediately spring to mind that are on the same level (with no vote appeal) as Ed are Balls and Brown.

IDS has some degree of intelligence too. Something I've not seen in Ed.

krish

Distinguished Member
I've not seen any evidence of that with IDS. He also had a huge porky pie on his public résumé for years until it was exposed by Michael Crick when he became leader of the Opposition ... attendance at a business seminar was exaggerated as a full on business degree at a prestigious university. This was subsequently corrected on the official party website.

BBC - Press Office - Iain Duncan Smith CV

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
IDS has some degree of intelligence too. Something I've not seen in Ed.

Well he's lied about stats to push through benefit reforms, handled Universal Credit so badly the Major Projects Office is looking at it as an entirely new project given all the changes required to make it work to some fashion. He's about as good with public money as Ed Balls is...

D

Deleted member 13294

Here is an idea. As well as training let's give young people real work experience too.

And if they refuse have the same regime to sanction their benefits.

I'm sure the Labour party will support this.

NewMan

Here is an idea. As well as training let's give young people real work experience too.

And if they refuse have the same regime to sanction their benefits.

I'm sure the Labour party will support this.
You should know by now, if Labour suggest it, it's ok. If the Tories suggest it, it's slavery...

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
No wonder some people call them the nasty party.

Oh, wait...
:suicide:

I call them the nasty party due to the mess IDS has created with his benefit reforms. Punitive sanctions, assessments that do not take medical evidence into account and then get over turned at a tribunal, millions wasted on a Universal Credit system that is pretty much dead on arrival (it will need major surgery to get it to work at a basic level) etc
What Labour is proposing here is quite sensible (along with paying people who've worked for 5 years higher rates of JSA). You also have to remember that the coalition took away EMA from 16-19 year olds in Education, how many gave up on Education and went onto JSA ? Something I'm going to try and find out soon.

Having first hand experience of the benefit system due to having a severe mental health problem, most of you don't know just how lucky you are.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Good to see that the Condition of Britain speech is nowhere in readership terms on the BBC website but the other policy announcement from Labour HQ is going great guns;

The scope of Labour's ambitions is to scrape a win in 2015- that's it. Every time they try and reconcile the financial illiterates that put Ed there in the first place with planet Earth, its a disaster.

D

Deleted member 13294

Very very odd.

Presumably they think cutting funding and therefore forcing Museums to charge for entry will help poorer children get into museums.

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
They are in a shambles, they merely open their mouths to confirm it.
We need a good old clear out in Westminster, new blood is needed as this lot haven't a clue, much resembling a dog chasing a car.

D

Deleted member 13294

I agree, new blood is needed. Partly why UKIP is popular, because they aren't so measured and sterile.

But Labour in particular are becoming a parody of themselves with their anti-business, class warfare policies.

I'm still struggling to understand what museums are supposed to do to attract poor children when they are already free to enter. Should they be paying them to turn up?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom