1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are Holograph 3D & SDI options?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nathan_silly, Jul 23, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen upgrades for various players by JVB, they add Holograph 3D & SDI upgrades.

What are these for?

I've heard the SDI is another video connection method- but I've never seen anything with SDI inputs.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The SDI output is to get a professional digital video out, which an SDI scaler or SDI HTPC card like the SDI Silk or holo3dgraph can accept.

The holo3d card can then use it's Faroudja deinterlacing chip to convert to progressive scan and use a £40 Radeon graphics card to scale to HD high-def resolutions, like a £2000 sdi digital input scaler. http://www.ivojo.co.uk/scalers.htm

This improves the scalers resulting picture quality because the signal has not been converted to analog and back before processing.

I think it's not on DVD players as standard because there's no macrovision or protection to hollywood would get upset.

You can also put an £70 Xcard MPEG DVD card in the same pc, buy the right "PDI" ribbon cable and you can get the same digital video as an SDI modded player, straight to the holo3d, like a £6500 Faroudja scaler with integral DVD.

Well thats what we aim for in the HTPC forum!

regards,
    Rob.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Rob is correct.

SDI is a broadcast Serial Digital Video signal. THe native digital component signal from the DVD players MPEG decoder, or STB's can be tapped off some devices and output in this form. It has no Copy protection.

There are lots of products that have inputs for such a signal just some are..

TAW ROCK
    VIGATEC
    KEYDIGITAL
    SNELL AND WILCOX INTERPOLATOR
    FOCUS ENHANCEMENTS
    EXTRON
    KRAMER
    HOLO3D1/2
    SILK SDI
    Forthcoming Runco scaler

probably lots of other commercial products too.

Gordon

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Rob

presumably using a DVD ROM drive rather than feeding the H3D card component in from a set top player?

I have an Xcard I'm not currently using - but I'm a bit confused. Hooking it up to a H3D, would i still be using DVI out, or the VGA out on the Xcard? I want to stay with the DVI if I can, for obvious reasons.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I think I've got it... in a HTPC..

DVD-ROM.

On the PCI bus- Holograph & Video card.

Holograph sends de-interlaced/progressed video to the Video card, and the video card increases the resoultion (scales) to the native resoultion of the display (ie 1024x768 LCD screen), which is then outputted from the video card and plugged into the display, via DVI output?

Is there not a internal cable that is used? (would this be indentical/better than SDI?)- link up the two by a short ribbon cable.

So where along the line do you use the SDI connection?

And what displays have SDI inputs?

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi Nathan,

I know of only one plasma that has an SDI input as standard - see here:

http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/delphi_dd42e_plasma.html

Key Digital were originally going to have SDI on their PIO768P card for the Pioneer CMX/MXE models, but this was replaced with another DVI-HDCP connector. They are supposedly developing an SDI-DVI adapter instead.

Steve

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another question- why are Plasma accessories a rip-off?

£250 for a desktop stand? Over charging I think!

That Delpha 80" is a good price, pity about the rez & contrast ratio.

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes, holo3dgraphs scale and output using your graphics card, VGA or DVI output.

holo3dgraphII's do the above and also have an optional HD aux output card which can provide DVI or VGA from the holo card directly.

Apparently the Xcard's other (analog) outputs are all poor quality, only the digital PDI output is good, really good!

I wouldn't use Component in to the holo3d for DVD's, because a digital input looks much sharper.

The holo3d can't read a DVD itself, you need an Xcard DVD card to read from the DVD-ROM and to provide the PDI digital signal over an internal ribbon cable, or an external SDI modded player.

DVD-ROM (over PCI) Xcard (over PDI ribbon
    e.g. connection summary picture on page 5...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82902&perpage=15&pagenumber=5#post656387