Question What are good LED dimmable spotlights?

techno79

I want to get some good value for money LED dimmable spotlights and their associated holders/sockets as I have many that I'll need for my new house renovation (probably around 80 to 100 spotlights). However, someone mentioned that some of the really cheap low quality ones will hum or make noise even though they were described as LED dimmable spotlights.

I do not want any poor quality lights like these no matter how cheap. What's the lowest cost ones I can get that still deliver good performance?

The spotlights will initially be controlled via classic the manual rotary style dimmer switch, but I hope to change the switches in the not to distant future to modern switches with which will either be smart themselves or using a smart module like a Shelly.

What's a good quality LED dimmable spotlight and holder solution?

neilball

I’ve been using Megaman dimmable GU10 lamps for many years now and with a variety of dimmers, from classic rotary wall dimmers to full while-house lighting control systems. They have a good filming curve, and no flicker, and with only one or two early failures from many hundreds of lamps. The 2800k warm white is a nice alternative to halogen, and they also have dim-to-warm versions that give a warmer light temperature as they dim down, replicating the colour temperature of a dimmed filament lamp.

Megaman have a range of other lamp types, and the colour temperatures are a good match between all lamp types, which is handy when you have a mixture of fittings on a room.

When you need to buy so many you should see about opening an account with an electrical trade counter and ask for a quote for the volumes you need - they would typically need to be specially ordered in a large quantity, and if you combine that with the quote for light fittings and other electricals you may find you can get a decent discount. It’s what many self builders do (and what I did back in the day when I built my house). You might need to put on your builders clothes and physically visit the trade counter (although check on their covid procedures first), but the discounts can be significant if you can convince them to treat you as a tradesman rather than a consumer.

larkone

At the builders merchants just call yourself 'tecno79 (change name to suit) Renovations' - that covers so many things you will get discount across the board - its what I do.

techno79

At the builders merchants just call yourself 'tecno79 (change name to suit) Renovations' - that covers so many things you will get discount across the board - its what I do.
But surely they'll ask for company details or other proof to show you're a company?

larkone

Nope, not so far but then years ago I did have a building company so I probably sound convincing ;)

techno79

The 2800k warm white is a nice alternative to halogen, and they also have dim-to-warm versions that give a warmer light temperature as they dim down, replicating the colour temperature of a dimmed filament lamp.

Are there any (non-smart variants) LED spotlights that can do dim-to-warm giving a range of cool white to warm white? I couldn't see any. The ones I saw, went from warm white to even warmer (e.g. ML Knightsbridge RW6DTW Dim to Warm Integrated LED Fire Rated Downlight IP65 2200-3000K 6W).

neilball

Are there any (non-smart variants) LED spotlights that can do dim-to-warm giving a range of cool white to warm white? I couldn't see any. The ones I saw, went from warm white to even warmer (e.g. ML Knightsbridge RW6DTW Dim to Warm Integrated LED Fire Rated Downlight IP65 2200-3000K 6W).

That’s normally called tunable white, where the colour temperature can be controlled separately to the dimming level, but that requires some type of control system to operate.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom