1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are amp dynamics?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Mar 27, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive been reading alot about getting a new amp for my system, either a rotel or nad for better stereo. However the magazines mention some amps having better dynamics then others. What exactly does this mean?
    Thanks to any that can help.

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Always hard to be sure what the reviewer meant... but i'd interpret it as an amp well suited to dealing with both the quiet and loud components of the audio stream as well as the transients between these two extremes.

3. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    do nad and rotel have good dynamics then as a general rule?

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Their amps have a reputation of having current in reserve which, all things being equal, should make them capable of dealing with the dynamics of an audio stream....BUT the best thing to do would be to listen to them.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    There are a lot of factors that contribute to the dynamics of an amplifier's sound quality,which to me anyway,equates to how fast the amp reacts to a change in signal,and how good it's resolution of fine detail and depth is.

Amps with the ability to deliver current irrespective of load usually sound good,as do those with low amounts of overall(i.e.global) negative feedback.
    High amounts of negative feedback do reduce distortion,but also tend to strangle the dynamics,resulting in a slow,closed in sound.

Of the 2 amps you mention,both have generally good dynamics in their class,and the NAD amps generally have a warmer sound,which some people prefer....as others have already said,try before you buy!