Question What Arcam amp should I get ?

Drane

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m looking at putting together a budget hifi which will include a record player as there are are lot of vinyl reissues I would love to hear

I have seen a couple of Arcam amps for sale local to me and I really do not know much about them to know which one is better if it is at all

The two I have seen are the Arcam Alpha 7R at £60 and the Arcam Diva 65 Plus at £130

Would I being a complete beginner to all things hifi notice any difference?

I will add that this will be the part of the system I will be getting, I am also looking for a turntable, CD player and bookshelf speakers

If anyone here can offer any advice that would be greatly appreciated

Someone will come and advise on that but what's your total budget and are you happy to go second hand for everything?

Yes absolutely no problem in going 2nd hand , and regarding budget I’m just looking at buying it all bit by bit but as you can see I’m looking at between £65 and £130 with the amps I’ve seen so you can probably guess my budget for everything else :)

The 65 has a bigger power supply and is newer too.

If possible I’d go for that one.

However, if around £60 is the max then the 7 is good amp, certainly for that price.

Yes absolutely no problem in going 2nd hand , and regarding budget I’m just looking at buying it all bit by bit but as you can see I’m looking at between £65 and £130 with the amps I’ve seen so you can probably guess my budget for everything else :)
Someone on the classifieds here is selling an Arcam avr250 for 140. It's a surround sound receiver but known to also excel at stereo.

I'd recommend having a look. It's upside, loads of inputs, including digital, this means you can literally buy a DVD player for 30 quid on Amazon and once you get one with a digital output you get the sound quality dictated by the amp.

The downside is it doesn't have a phono stage so you'd either need to buy a turntable with one built in or buy one seperate, as for speakers, you'd have to state room size and be more specific on budget to get a good rather than generic recommendation.

I would however say that unless you already have vinyl you'd be as well off sticking to modern stuff such as CDs (due price and the fact they can be ripped and streamed easy)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom