What? Another SVS question?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gwynne, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Gwynne

Gwynne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My venerable Monitor Audio ASW 100 has had it's cone pushed in by my youngest; oh well, it was outclassed by the rest of the system anyhow.

Next week my Parasound C2/A52 arrives, so power will not be a problem. I know Velodynes used to be very popular power buys around here, and indeed can still be found elsewhere: Has anyone any feeling as to how an SVS would compare to a Velo CHT-15? I'm impressed by the word of mouth on the SVS; Velo used to be well thought of here but our US counterparts seem to be rather off them these days, especially build quality.

The SVS that impress are the 20-39PC-Plus (wife a little nonplussed but not negative) or the beautiful PB1-Plus box amp. There's a heck of a price difference, however...

Of course, a natural advantage of the downward-firing SVS is a built-in protection against further exploring fingers...

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The SVS 20-39 PC Plus is streets ahead of the Velodyne CHT-15 and is closer to the DD range in performance, although costing only a fraction of the price.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,314
    Having owned both a CHT 15 and a SVS 20-39 PC Plus I feel I can give you a fair idea of what to expect.
    The CHT 15 is a front firing sub with a 15" driver which is servo controled and ported to the front. Placement is easy in most rooms and performance is good, strong, deep and tight. However for the money it is nowhere near as good value for money as the similar but sealed Servo 15 which is sadly hard to come by now (another sub i have used in my room and still continue to use).
    The SVS 20-39 PC Plus is a very different beast, it is big, ugly and feels cheap in production. However in most rooms which are not difficult to get the best out of subs the performance is superior to the CHT by quite some margin. However it is a dowward firing sub and if you have problems with your room, as I have, and a suspended floor, it might just not work as well as it should. I just couldn't live with the poor performance and intergration in my room, but i have heard the sub in a concrete floored room and it was simply awesome.
    Bass is the hardest area to get right in any set up and you really must try any unit in your room. This is what makes the SVS a difficult decision to make, it is a lot of money to put up front and if you encounter the same problems i did, it can be seen as an expensive mistake. Why not see if an SVS onwer lives near you and who might give you a demo.
    Every month there are new designs and better and better subs being released, I would suggest finding a good dealer who will allow a home demo of your chosen shortlist, the CHT and SVS however may not be possible for this.

Good luck.

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have my set up in a dedicated upstairs room and have managed to control a PB2+ really well. I just built a very heavy duty isolation platform which works really well. Of course there are still times when you get vibrations running through the floor but it dosnt make any noise or cause boom. It would be impossible to stop this with 20hz bass totally. I did give my floor some acoustic treatment but nothing really expensive.