Question What and how to test Kuro LX5090 before buying?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Micoo, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Micoo

Micoo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all

Newbie here, plz help?

I am going with my mate to buy privately a 9gen Kuro i.e. LX5090. The price is very low (just over £200, which for a poor country I live is even cheap) so it makes me extra suspicious.

Can you please advise how to test this Kuro 5090 before I give the seller the money?
    Is there an absolute best/bulletproof procedure to do?

I have a laptop with Win10 and OS X so can take with me. Is there a software which would be best to test it with, or some kind of display test or display board (e.g. to search for bad pixels) ? Or when laptop is not required and this TV can be checked/appraised with naked eye - how to do it?
    Please help. I don't wanna lose my my money and buy something bad.

thank you so much guys

ps. Why Kuro 5090? Well in a nutshell: I have been reading a lot and my general conclusion is that good 1080p material (i.e. Blu-ray) on a good TV (5090 and krp500a as being the finest, reference class TVs even as of today) is way better then 4k HDR content + I don't intend to sit in front of the TV 3feet away just to 'see the 4k benefit' as human eye is not even able to distinguish difference between 4k and 1080 from far away (I read somewhere that optimal sitting distance with 4k is 2cm for every 1 inch of TV size so for example for 50inch 4k one has to sit 100cm away which is a joke. While for 1080 it was quoted to be 4cm for every 1 inch of TV size - I don't know if it's true?). Plus someone on here said that the other thing with 4K is that storage size stays pretty much the same (Ultra HD Blu Ray discs) so in order to fit all the data of 4K resolution they will have to lose data somewhere else and it will be the colors info/data so then colors may be actually worse on the 4K while higher resolution in comparison to 1080 is not so beneficial/hardly noticeable.
    I was also looking at 65KS7000 (lovely design, but that back ungluing off is horrible), 58DX802 (mega design, aluminum remote), 65PUS7601 (mega design, ambilight) and particularly the Hisense 65M7000 (at £1000 it's a steal with it's mega design and all metal frame) - but they are much more money then used Kuro + again, as the general consensus is: good 1080p on best plasma i.e. Euro 5090/KRP500 cannot be beaten by anything even today (to include 4K sets with 4k material) - to include OLEDs from LG which still have technology infancy problems (+ultra expensive).
    I am aware of VT60 and particularly ZT60 matching (at least) 9gen Kuro on performance - but they are very hard to find and very very expensive. I think I just might even prefer the ZT60 over the Kuro as it has such a beautiful design + frames are so much narrower (which makes it much more modern looking) but again........I cannot find one and in normal/good price.

ps2. I will be using my TV almost only with Blu-ray films and gaming on consoles (Playstation 3 and Playstation 4). I do not watch TV channels as I hate that propaganda on there ;)

2. Micoo

Micoo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    really?
    no one?
    :O :(

3. Jezza99

Jezza99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,192
    Well, you might want to check that the steam engine power is working correctly ? ;)

4. hari967

hari967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Do you're usual checks you'd do when buying s second hand tv.
    £200 sounds about right.

5. GMAN40

GMAN40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hello,

I have various Pioneer plasma's and use them to this day, for me there isn't enough 4K content out there, so for the time being 1080p is sufficient.

£200 for a 5090 is a steal. Check for the red tint it can easily be fixed by going into the service menu.

Thx
    GMAN40

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +775
    I have to agree and I'm still happy with my LX5090 after 8 years! Has had a lot of use and is still going strong. SKY tv doesn't even have 1 UHD tv channel so that tells you it's still early days for '4K' viewing. Also, at my 4m viewing distance I'd need a minimum 65" tv and even then I'm not convinced The difference will be all that significant. I agree it's a little ridiculous to sit so close to a tv just to see the benefit from 4K. If you can't see it from your normal position then you don't need it! Probably HDR and HFR will have more of an impact and those are still a way off. The situation with HDR is a mess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. GMAN40

GMAN40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Rob20,

I am amused by other members on this forum rushing to sell their pioneer plasmas for the very latest 4K sets!!

For me there isn't enough 4K content out there SKY doesn't even have a dedicated 4K/UHD channel ready other than football so for me 1080p is sufficient right now.

My friend sold his KRP500A for an LG OLED tv and asked me to come round as he's wasn't happy with the picture when comparing it to the 500A. It took us 5 hours of tinkering in the settings menus trying to get even close to the fluid picture he had on the 500A without success.

Let's not forget all the pro settings in this 500A were off other than using pure mode/contrast at range from 29-36/sharpness -12/ colour 0/brightness +1. Oh and advance for bluray, that's it.

He was brain washed sucked in by the marketing waffle stating the latest 4K/UHD/OLED are superior and now bitterly regrets selling it. Remember the noise they were making over 3D tv, suddenly it's all gone quiet again.

Let's not forget Pioneer left the tv business over 8 years ago and people are still raving on about how good there tv were, still are, not bad for and 8 year old tv. I would bet most people don't hold on to tv these days more than 5 years because of the latest codecs and build quality.

Can u imagine what type of tv consumers would have had if they had remained in the business, people were saying there tv were too expensive, yet today people are paying the same amount for the very latest LG OLED!!

For me I still prefer plasma over all other formats, but that my opinion.

Thx
    GMAN40

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017