What amps would be a good match for a pair of Celestion Ditton 11 speakers?

Ng727

Hi everyone,
I have a pair of Celestion Ditton 11 speakers and wanted to get any advice on what a good amp match may be for them. They're rated at 120w continuous sine wave and 240w peak music power at 4-8ohms as per the label on them.

I was looking at a Yamaha A-S701 as an option but in not sure how much power I should be looking for.

I'm quite new to the Hi-fi community and am not too knowledgeable so any and all help would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks in advance

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice vintage speakers, not as old as me, but perhaps not too far off. Not a difficult speaker to drive with a nominal 8 ohms and 89dB sensitivity. They don't drop to below 5 ohms which is typical of amps from the early 1970s as they would have been mated to amps that rarely delivered more than 30 watts into 8 ohms typically.

A good match for them would be the Marantz PM7006 or amps with around 50 watts into 8 ohms. You don't want to be pushing too much power through them.

Ng727

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice vintage speakers, not as old as me, but perhaps not too far off. Not a difficult speaker to drive with a nominal 8 ohms and 89dB sensitivity. They don't drop to below 5 ohms which is typical of amps from the early 1970s as they would have been mated to amps that rarely delivered more than 30 watts into 8 ohms typically.

A good match for them would be the Marantz PM7006 or amps with around 50 watts into 8 ohms. You don't want to be pushing too much power through them.

Thank you for such a great response Gibbsy, definitely very helpful !!

I couldn't help but notice though that the link you attached was linked to Ditton 110 speakers, which isn't the ones I have. The ones you linked looked similar but quite different too.

Happy to attach some photos too if that may be of any help !

Ng727

Please do.
Here they are with the grill off and the back too.
20211221_112421.jpg
20211221_112447.jpg
20211221_112508.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom