What amps do you use with your Tag AV32R

m0v1em4n

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hopfully taking delivery of a new Tag AV32R EX7.1 on wednesday,
and just looking for option on what amp to use, idearly the Tag amps would be nice but that might be next year

Upgrading from the Denon AVC-A1se.

THanks

Steve Morris

I'm using a Rotel RB1070 (front L/R) and RMB1075 (surrounds and centre) with mine, and don't expect to upgrade them for quite some time

Martin.

if you can afford it CHORD SPM3005
believe me, there's hardly something better, but it is very very expensive
Pedro

You're not kidding! The SPM3005 list price is £10,750!! :eek:
Then you've got to find something to power the other 2 channels like, say, an SPM1200E at £5,446. That's some serious muscle. Nice one. Better start saving.... :D

Currently Rotel 985 Mk 2 but one of my "savings projects" is for a Bryston 3 channel to power the upgraded front soundstage (savings project #2!!).

Steve

Full Tag system here :D So that means at present I have the 100x5R.

.You're not kidding! The SPM3005 list price is £10,750!!
Then you've got to find something to power the other 2 channels like, say, an SPM1200E at £5,446. That's some serious muscle. Nice one.

That's why I stopped on 5.1

I am just about to buy high-end processor, but I'll stick on 5.1 for some time (in amp terms)
Main reason for SPM3005 was its amazing stereo performance.
I had TAG 100X2R home for testing and then got a chance to compare it to SPM3005 - It was like Ferrari and McLaren nowdays.

So start saving, like I did for processor and like I'll do it for (You're right) 1200E - Unless my wife finds out real prices . . .
Pedro

p.s. you can get SPM3005 for at least 20-25% off RRP, just if you give it a good try

Tag all the way here, so it's a 100x5R for me (mine's a non-EXed AV32R). It sounds GOOOOOOD, but I'm looking to upgrade my sub and DVD player (currently KEF and Marantz respectively).

I'm using a Tag 250x3R for the front and an Audiolab 8000P for the rear (only5.1). Stunning control and sound...

Neil

100x5R into Mission 782fronts, 78C and 78DS. No complaints here:D
If you want an alternative I have heard the Bryston amps are very good and you can't argue with the 20 year warranty!

I have used Tag, Bryston and Parasound to great effect. Many of the classic stereo amps also work really well.

I have Tag at home.

Tag again, I was going to consider Rotels but then I knew I'd go for the Tag eventually, so I didn't consider them for very long!

OT:

Brent,

How well does the CDM surround blend with the Nautilus fronts? I currently have the same front three speakers as you and am struggling to justify the cost of the Nautilus surrounds.

Jules.

Tag again, I was going to consider Rotels but then I knew I'd go for the Tag eventually, so I didn't consider them for very long!

Brent, all you ned now is DVD32R !
Every day it blends me with some new thing (I upgraded from Arcam too). It's stereo performance with AV32R (mine is 96kHz only) is simply untouchable (with sync link engaged of course)

So start saving
If no funds, maybe this could work:
trade in 100x5R for DVD32R , buy Rotel as temporary solution until next upgrade
:)

Cheers

I am just about to buy high-end processor, but I'll stick on 5.1 for some time (in amp terms)

Pedro,
have you already done your comparison TAG vs Arcam , or you're simply going for Chord (with divorce on the top :) ha ha ha )

cheers
Kastrup

Bryston:

4B ST front + 3 Powerpacs 120 for center and surround...

Beats Rotel 1080 + 993 I had before by miles... only other power I tried home was the Plinius 8200, it just couldn´t handle my front speakers at all...

Pedro, have you already done your comparison TAG vs Arcam , or you're simply going for Chord (with divorce on the top :) ha ha ha )

Not yet, but I had TAG and Audionet at home last weekend.

Audionet MAP is nice machine but can not compete TAG AV32R in anything but phono input.

Pedro (waiting to hear Arcam)

Pedro,

have you heard Map and AV32R side by side?

I'm curious as you your assessment about MAP as the German magazines seem to rate it even higher than the Tag...

In fact, they think it is about the only HT prepro that is "good enough" as a preamp in stereo listening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't believe you. I'm honestly intersted in your opinion and if you will, description about what you don't like about MAP (and what you *do* like especially about the Tag).

regards,
Halcyon

have you heard Map and AV32R side by side?

Yes, in a way.
I tried to bring them run in paralell, as much as possible, but it is not easy to switch power amps so many times around, so I haven't done too much of it .

This with pre-amp qualities of Audionet is not a nonsense since they use Pre G2 as base for MAP. But trust me, there was no audible difference between them in stereo (using DACs from my Accuphase CD.) when bypassed thru processors. And I really tried to find any. Not even if used TAGs digitized inputs.
I can not compare it with reference preamps like those magazines, but I do not believe magazines anyway. (Especially not the german or the english one.)

When CD was used as a drive only, the DACs in TAG (bp192 ) were doing bit better job than Audionet, and overall performance was somehow better. In stereo as well as in multichannel. I would even say multichannel was another step further with TAG.

That was what interested me the most (audio part). That made my decission.

Rest is matter of taste. User interface is different, I liked TAG more. Build quality is TAG forever! Remote from TAG is bad one, but you need Pronto for it anyway. TAG has no phono, that is bad. I also tested XLR from Audionet and I had feeling that RCA was better. But I might be wrong.

Both have some nice features, but TAG is promising more in the future. Unfortenately new box is needed and upgrade will be very expensive.

So, all in all, two nice pieces of electronics. Whatever you buy you'll do the right one. I'd go for TAG. If nothing else then better DACs and best support in the world.

That was all, (but the best would be if you could make your own choice without us messing around)

Pedro

P.S. My description from last posting was written wrong way, but I was mainly judging its processing and DAC performances and that is where MAP lost by not so small margin.

Pedro,

thank you very much for your comments!

You have not made my life any easier, due to the fact that Tag AV32R bp192 is NOT available where I live :(

THe local retailer isn't "quite there" in terms of sales knowledge and inventory, so I'll have to travel to Sweden to listen to the new Tag.

I will still consider Arcam FMJ AV 8 against the TAG, if I have the opportunity.

Thanks again.

cheers,
Halcyon

Hi Halcion,
Having thought long and hard about a new processor myself, and listened to most of the top end machines that are available today, I settled on the BP192 (recieved mine yesterday in fact).

I must agree with Pedro, it really does sound supreme. I'm sure every now and again, something will come along that may do certain things a little better, but giving Tag's constant and relentless upgrade paths, Tag owners will have no fears of being left behind.

An immensely good machine sold by an incredible company. I am forever converted.

uncle eric,

I'm interested in all comments regarding high end prepros :)

Can you tell me which ones you listened to and how did you find them?

I'm especially interested in:

Naim, Tag McLaren, Arcam and Audionet models.

US brands are way too expensive here in Europe.

regards,
Halcyon

Originally posted by warrj

How well does the CDM surround blend with the Nautilus fronts? I currently have the same front three speakers as you and am struggling to justify the cost of the Nautilus surrounds.

[/B]

Superbly! Though I gotta admit, I've not had a listen to the Nautilus surrounds, but then again, I just don't feel the need to. And anyway, the CDM surrounds are effectively CDM1NT's in a smaller box, which in turn are (similar) to the 805s in different boxes, so they should be tonally matched.

Originally posted by Plump

All you ned now is DVD32R !

I know! Actually I need to get a plasma screen first (can't really justify a DVD32R on my Panny 32inch!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom