What Amplifier should I buy?

CVD

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm planning to buy a stereo system and the seller has a Technics SU-V8 and a Pioneer A77x amplifer. Out of these two which one is the best to buy. Your kind advice will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you demo any of the 2 that you are looking at?

if you ever get back to reading this thread i would probably go for the pioneer A77x
i remember having one of the technics SU V8's in a past life and it was a powerful amp but absolutely no finesse what so ever

the pioneer amps of that era tended to sound a little more refined to my ears

This gentleman is asking similar question to me - so I will hijack here rather than a new thread.

I have auditioned some speakers and amplifiers recently and decided that my KEF Q7 speakers do not have a problem as I imagined, but my amplifier does. I am therefore in the market for a much more expensive amplifier than I have ever possessed. I have a few niggles though.

Whittled the choice down to Arcam FMJ A29 or Musical Fidelity M3si. Neither of which have tone or loudness controls! Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom to share as to which I should go for and why?

I know that's how it is supposed to be with 'good' amplifiers (no tone controls) I used to preach it all my adult life. However I am older now and the ears are not as they were. What happens when I lose some treble and want to tweak it a bit? There are expensive Yamaha's out there with tone controls but no-one seems to stock them to facilitate an audition.

Many thanks in advance.

This gentleman is asking similar question to me - so I will hijack here rather than a new thread.

I have auditioned some speakers and amplifiers recently and decided that my KEF Q7 speakers do not have a problem as I imagined, but my amplifier does. I am therefore in the market for a much more expensive amplifier than I have ever possessed. I have a few niggles though.

Whittled the choice down to Arcam FMJ A29 or Musical Fidelity M3si. Neither of which have tone or loudness controls! Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom to share as to which I should go for and why?

I know that's how it is supposed to be with 'good' amplifiers (no tone controls) I used to preach it all my adult life. However I am older now and the ears are not as they were. What happens when I lose some treble and want to tweak it a bit? There are expensive Yamaha's out there with tone controls but no-one seems to stock them to facilitate an audition.

Many thanks in advance.

As you say yourself, you shouldn't need to worry about the tone controls. My vintage Rotal has tone controls but also has a bypass. I am using the bypass and have never needed to use the tone controls. Usually, playing with the bass or treble leads to an inbalanced sound. I haven't heard the Musical Fidelity so cannot say much about it. The new Arcams are very nice sounding amps although they tend to veer towards the "safe" end. I listened a while back an A19 driving a pair of KEF R500s and the sound was very nice, relaxing and natural. However, I did find it lacking a bit of engagement - whether that is remedied with the additional power of the A29 or not I don't know. Generally though, they are very nice. I am stil not sure whether to be tempted by the combo offer on at Sevenoaks for an A29 / CDS27 to replace my amp and CD player...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom