what amplifer do i need for B W CM9

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by lee nguyen, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello every body, im not very good english so i hope every people can under stand me,
    i have got an pair of B&W CM9, i dont know what stereo amp do i need for that, my budget about £1500.00. i realy fancy cyrus audio systems, please give me some ideal , it doesnt matter how old model they are i can buy seconhand system ( intergate amp or pre amp and power amp )
    Thank you for reading that

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    I take it you are able to audition any possibilities? The main problem with the used market (unless buying from a dealer) is that you have to buy and hope it suits.

For integrated amplifiers, I'd be looking at the Rotel RA1570, Primare I22 (I32 if you can stretch), Arcam FMJ A29 or A39, or Rega Elicit-R. From a Cyrus point of view, the 82DAC would be the nearest price point wise. If you're looking used for Cyrus, look into pre/power combos, which I would generally recommend over integrated Cyrus amplifiers.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  3. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Dav1dF
    i have looking at Rotel RA1570 but out put power 100w/ch , so do i need power amp for that because in back of speaker is 200W

4. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    That will just be a recommended rating, and that will be an upper limit for the recommended amplifier power. The Rotel will power them just fine with 120wpc (8ohms).

5. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, how do you think between Rotel RA1570 price is £1,195.00 and Arcam FMJ A390 price is £1,279.00 whick amp you prefer ?
    Thank you

6. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    No A390 - do you mean A39?

7. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry A39

8. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    Excellent amp, and should be a little more capable even than the Rotel - auditioning is key though, as they'll all sound a little different. Sometimes quite a lot.

9. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i will go with Arcam FMJ A39
    Thank you very much

10. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hope you can you give me one more advice please , what CD Player should i by with , i dont want too expensive about few hundred

11. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    The player most go for under £500 is the Marantz CD6005, which is usually available for £299.

12. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much

13. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    As has been pointed out, 200w is the limit not the ideal. If you look at the specs for the CM9-S2 you see -

Recommended amplifier power: 30W - 200W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

That means any quality amp from 30w up to 200w will work. The Rotel RA-1570 with 120w/ch to 8 ohms will work just fine.

To get an amp that truly has 200w of high fidelity power, is going to run in the area of £3000.

Musical Fidelity M6si Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

But, the RA-1570 has many more features than the Arcam FMJ-A39. The RA-1570 has built in DACs with Optical/Coaxial/USB inputs. It also has Tone Controls, a Phono Input, and Pre-Amp outputs. The Arcam which I can't in anyway discredit, is a straight forward amp with no additional feature and no Tone Controls. It is a good amp, just a somewhat minimalist amp compared to the RA-1570.

Rotel RA1570 Amplifier With DAC - Superfi

Arcam FMJ A39 Amplfier - Superfi

You need to choose an amp that provides the features you need. For example, the most common use of the Optical Input on the RA-1570 is to connect the TV to the Stereo for Movie watching. Having a Phono Input is certainly valuable if you have a Turntable. Myself, I prefer amps that have Tone Controls, though I don't often use them.

Steve/bluewizard

14. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank Steve, but some people said to me if i want using Rotel RA 1570 for CM9 i need to add power amp for that , how do you think about ROKSAN Capian M2 integrate amp ?

15. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024

People say lots of things, the Internet says lots of things, but most of it is bull dung.

The Roksan Caspian M2 only has 85w/ch to 8 ohms -

Roksan Caspian M2 Integrated Amplifier Black - Open Box

Output Power: (8Ω both ch driven) 85W/ch

Roksan Caspian M2 Integrated Amplifier

Output Power: 85 Watts Into 8 ohms /125 Watts Into 4ohms (Both Channels Driven)

It is certainly a good amp, but it is not solving the problem you think it is solving.

To get significantly more than 100w/ch to 8 ohms is going to raise the price of the amp very considerably, as I illustrated with the Musical Fidelity M6Si (£2500).

So, from a practical perspective, in affordable amps, will not find much more than about 100w/ch.

100/ch to 120w/ch is going to be fine. Don't fight it.

And, as I have already pointed out, don't just think of the amp, but think about the features you are likely to want and need.

And by the way .. I have the Rotel RA-1570 driving large 2x8" each floorstanding speakers ... it's fine!

Steve/bluewizard

16. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much Steve,
    some time i listening BASS MUSIC that why i worry about power

17. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    Bass is not what you think it is. People become obsessed with crazy deep bass when in reality there is very little music below 30hz. In fact, for common music, very little below 40hz.

Next we have the Bass Presence Range, this is where you perceive bass in most music. I mean the bass player doesn't spend all his time strumming the 40hz low "E" string. The Bass Presence Range is in the 80hz to 120hz range. That's why bookshelf speaker can sound so good, when the bass would seemingly be so poor.

Then we have the Distribution of Power across the Spectrum. Though the chart I'm providing is for full orchestral music, you can see that the greatest power is not consumed on the lowest of the low notes. It is actually in the 250hz to 500hz range -

[​IMG]
    So, Bass is not something you really have to worry about. In my partying days, I had 12" speakers with a 45w/ch amp, I had no problems throwing MANY a great party. Though typically in a normal size room of a normal size house.

The standard range for remotely affordable Stereo amps is in the range of 50w/ch to 100w/ch. Anything above 100w/ch to 8 ohms starts to get expensive. Though the Yamaha AS701 at about £400 is pretty reasonably priced.

With your stated budget, the Rotel RA-1570 or the Arcam FMJ-A39 are both 120w/ch. The Arcam is a bit more expensive at about £1600. The Rotel, last I checked, is running about £1200 but with many more features.

And that is the next point, the Rotel is long on features, but the Arcam is very basic. Which do you need? Which do you prefer?

As I said, I prefer amp with Tone Controls, with a few exceptions, that is a deal breaker for me. So for me ...just me... the Arcam is out, though a good amp. In my current situation where my Stereo does double duty for Movie watching, having the Optical Digital Inputs is important, so that leaves the Arcam out for me. However, for someone who wants and needs a basic minimalist amp, the Arcam probably tops their list.

So, focus on the details of what you want and need.

As a broad and general guideline, the amp is typically half the cost of the speakers, though most certainly not etched in stone. The B&W CM9-S2 run about £2000/pr, so that would imply an amp in the roughly £500 to £1500 range. And that's the range you are in.

Steve/bluewizard

18. lee nguyen

lee nguyen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Steve

19. Jodel

Jodel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I recently listened to both the Arcam A39 and Rotel 1570/1582 side-by-side with CM 9's and it's a very close call. If your selection criteria is purely on sound quality, then I'd probably go with the Arcam. Obviously, you are best to hear them for yourself, but I thought the Arcam sound was just a bit more full than the Rotel. However, the Rotel had more features (including tone control if required) and that clinched it for me. Additionally, the Arcam is also quite a deep (long) unit, so make sure your cabinet can physically accommodate it - mine could not.