What AMP ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gliese 581c, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Could be doing with some advice please. If you look at my signature you'll see my current setup. I'm looking to upgrade my amp.

The amp I'm most interested in is the DENON AVC-A1SE.

If anyone has any advice on what would be best, please let me know.

Thanks.:)

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I cannot comment on the Denon, apart from the fact its quite expensive. I am currently replacing my Sony str-db925 as its getting a bit dated now, I want more power and sound options.
    As I am on a budget I have decided to go for the Denon AVR-1803, it does all the known sound formats available at the moment for only £300 from unbeatable. And should totally blow away my Sony away :D

p.s the 1803 has one srround back.

3. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    nice price on that amp. I'm looking for a thx amp though. Something really nice that does everything and an amp that I wont have to change for a while.

I'm the same as you, the str db930 is getting on a bit.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about pre/power, last week I upgraded my Yam DSP-A1 intergrated amp to a Rotel RMB-1075 THX power amp and a Marantz AV9000 THX processor, it cost me £790 for the power amp and £699 for the processor.

The improvement in quality is astounding especially when it comes to music which is crucial for me. I'll never go down the intergrated route again, that's not to say I didn't like the DSP-A1, it's just that at the same price the pre/power combo wins in every dept. Why not get a hifi shop to demo the Denon next to a pre/power combo, perhaps the mighty Rotel RMB-1095 power amp and the Marantz AV9000 which will cost about £2300 ish.

P.S - The prices I'm quoting are based on the ex-display processor I bought for £699 which normally retails at about £1100 but Sevenoaks have some more for £699 I believe if you hunt around their website. I got 12 months warranty and it's brand new so a good buy IMO......................plus you get the uber Marantz remote control which in itself costs around £200.

5. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Thanks for the info, sounds pretty good too and probably well worth the listen. Dont you think its limited on the sounds formats though ?

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my small room 5.1 sound is very similar to 7.1 as I use dipolars on the side walls so I decided to stick with it for now. As for Pro Logic II and the other new formats they don't really bother me tbh, THX, DD and DTS are all that count plus the Marantz AV9000 offers 96KHz music playback where applicable and RDS radio if you like that sort of thing.............which I don't :)

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    If you have films on VHS or watch lots of SKY, you owe it to yourself (and your ears) to get PLII. It is really good and brings the rear channels to life:)

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Sky+ which more and more is showing movies in DD, if a movie is non-DD I just use the TV sound tbh as Pro Logic does nothing for me............that's just my opinion of course and I've not heard PL II yet so won't comment on it.