What Amp With Thx ?pleeeeease!

C

crank

:D Right guys i currently own a 42pv500 and a 2910 but have been using my old sony all i one home cinema unit for surround sound :rotfl: The thing is i now have some money and would like to purchase a seperate amp to power my set up I am preferably wanting one with THX sound also but i have'nt really got a clue which one to buy ,i have around 1k to spend .Anyone got any veiws on what i should go for would be greatly "APPRECIATED!" :lease:

To be honest chedmaster i don't know why :( .I just thought this was one of the new and better sources,as you can guess i am quite new to all this av jargon :confused: .Okay THX aside could you recomend an amp that would complemet my present av gear.Future proof would be great ie:HDMI and any price under 1k your help would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to end up with a pile of junk :smashin:

crank said:
To be honest chedmaster i don't know why :( .I just thought this was one of the new and better sources,as you can guess i am quite new to all this av jargon :confused: .Okay THX aside could you recomend an amp that would complemet my present av gear.Future proof would be great ie:HDMI and any price under 1k your help would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to end up with a pile of junk :smashin:

Have a look at this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249141

:thumbsup: Thanks chedmaster i need pointing in the right direction a couple of times before i notice :oops:

I'm in the same boat as Crank!!

Have a Pioneer 435 and a 2910, and am not sure which AV receiver/Amp to get. Along with matchnig the right speaker set also...!!

Sometimes too much info is not necessarily a good thing..!! ;-) Have heard people advise as to which amp works best with which speakers, and so on...

I guess it depends what you want from it, eh?! Personally, will be 75% movie/25% music, must be wall-mountable speakers and future proof Amp - which is where I was thinking along the lines of Crank - THX Select etc...

P.S. Large room also - approx 35ft long x 20 across....

Sorry no future proof amp around, as nothing as the new codecs that will be coming with HD DVD/Blueray the best you can hope for is on the video switching side. Here you can get digital video switching and even upconvertion from analouge sources, meaning only 1 cable to your display. These are generaly only availible on the higher end gear at the moment although JVC and Philips are bringing some cheaper solutions to market, if they are anygood as a reciever that has yet to be seen.

from the way i understand it THX wise, the only one worth going for is the THX Ultra2 badge, and thats if you are setting up a literal home cinema (ie a big room, lots of powerful hard to drive speakers, no neighbours and a 200inch screen...lol

i still love the THX badge for computers...makes me laff...heh...

for whoever it was just wanting an amp, get to a hifi shop, demo the ones listed in that thread linked above...try them out and see what you think, ask the shop if they got any more around the price, then buy the one that makes you think cooooool :)

for the one who wants amp and speakers, do the same....heh but for speaker recommendations, if u want wall mountable then your talking satellites, the choice is wide.....however you can wall mount bookshelfs if you want, then you get a better stereo performance as well if you take care on how you do it......best thing to do is start a thread yourself, list what equipment you already have, what your main prioritys are for usage (ie films over music or vice versa, what kind, blah blah....)

edit: ok, guy wanting speakers, u did list more info, lol, my memory gets worse......ok, go for satellites, thats a big room, M&K are good for kicking out a lot of volume to fill a space with movies, then get a nice fat sub to give the bass a chance......for amp, hmm, stretch your budget a lot and buy the top of range Denon, thats close to future proofing, it has HDMI switching anyhow..lol

You guys with the Pio Plasmas, you really should consider a Pio 1015 amp.

I have my 1014 connected to my 434 via the SR+ and its so convenient using the remote for the 1014. I can switch on my Plasma from that remote, select DVD PLAYER and it turns my 575 on and switches the Plasma to the correct input.

And it has performance to die for. Can be had for 360 odds online.

The remote is a learning remote too.

7.1 channels or biwire your fronts if you only want 5.1 channels

THX Ultra 2 as well.

Forget What HiFis biased review (NOV 2005 issue), this is a great piece of kit.

The 1015 is Select 2 not ultra 2, many people would say its more of a badge than a benifit. If you listen to it and you like the THX modes then thats what matters.

:( Okay guys "FORGET!" the THX :rolleyes: recomend me a couple of amps for under 1k that would compliment my current equipment :D I think it was a mistake to mention THX as this seems to have opened up a can of worms :rotfl: .Im looking for possble 7.1 for when i move house.HDMI and something with a little"UUUUUMFFF!" and also reasonable cd playback :smashin:or am i asking for too much for the price :(

The Pioneer AX5 and Denon 3805 amps are good machines. I found the Denon slightly better with music than the Pioneer which could sound bright at times.

Now both of these machines are being replaced now (likely see them after xmas). The replacements are the Denon 3806 and Pioneer AX4 and both have HDMI switching if this is of use to you.

If HDMI switching isnt important you can get some good deals on the Denon 3805 if you shop around. The Pioneer AX5 is now like rocking horse muck :)

PS I turned the THX off on the Pioneer AX5 when I had one. Didnt like it at all.

:D Cheers guys both these look really good ,althougth the marantz has THX i am leaning more to the denon as this would look great with 2910 :smashin: Has anyone heard the 3806 :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom