1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What amp will get the best from my MA Studio 20SEs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SimonBut, Dec 14, 2004.

1. SimonBut

SimonBut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Having settled on MA Gold Center and rears ( thanks speaker forum!) , can anyone recommend the best AV amp for my Monitor Audio set up??

I've got up to £1000 to spend??

2. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I run a monitor audio Gold setup (20's, Centre and fx's) and use a Denon 3803, it drives well and has plenty of control, but recently I've been tempted to the Arcam AVR300. It's more musical and I think works well with the MA's. I'd certainly recommend you take a listen to it. It might stretch the budget a little over what you wanted but it's a lovely amp.

3. SimonBut

SimonBut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - gonna take a look now!

4. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An Arcam 300, Rotel 1056 or Marantz 8500 would be good and safe bets to try and listen!

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    Don't discount the Denon 3805 or Pioneer AX5Ai!

6. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

these are all very good receivers in terms of musical performance. How about home cinema though? Are they good at this area too? For instance, does the Arcam contain lip sync adjustments? I've been trying to find some specs for the AVR-300 but they're all very general...

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    What you after music or HT?

I can recommend the yammy 2500 but considering i had a 620 the difference is ment to be and has been impressive. Got some B&W P5's at the front and they are quite hungrey, aswell as missions for centre and rears, together with a sub it is very good for HT. The pure
    direct mode is very good for stero audio, but you lose the sub on that mode.

Musicaly though, there is alot of buzz arround the Arcam, even though they seem a bit underpowered for the money (compared to competetors), but sound quality is were it counts and the maranatz 8500 which is very new, i think both would do you well. Try and get a demo if you can but i've heard conflicting reports of the Pioneers stero/music abilities.

8. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I'm more interested in home cinema reproduction (although music is an importand factor as well!). I'm between Denon 3805, Arcam AVR-300 and Marantz SR-8500. For the Marantz I'm kind of sceptical because, although good in music, I haven't heard the best for its home cinema performance. Denon should be good but I've recently heard some good stuff about Arcam as well. Is it indeed underpowered? I mean another thing that interests me a lot is hearing in high volumes. Of course I plan to add a power amp for the fronts but the rest will be driven by the a/v amplifier. So it should have enough driving capabilities. Ok, in the specs Denon seems better than Arcam but these are only specs. I mean who would believe that it can deliver 7x120 Watts? So I'm talking about the real thing here. Is Arcam at least equaly powerful as Denon? Another important thing is also surround formats decoding. I mean Denon is famous for very precise decoding and home cinema realism. I am just a bit concerned that Arcam will do very well and "give everything" in the musical part but will "compromise" in home cinema...

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Your looking at the 300 though and as such i think it should be as powerful as the 3805 but you'll have difficulty finding it for cheaper than £1000 where it's easy to do that for the 3805 and you can get the yammie 2500 for just over £600 from germany.

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Also i don't think the Ancrum can compete with the denon's, yammies and pioneers for HT but for music they make up for it. What i've heard is that it's not as good for HT but for the price it's musical ability makes up for that (i.e. surround audio) and also if music within films is as important as the 'punch' it produces then it's a good buy, it all depends what you want. I think mainly it doesn't have all the bells and wistles that the competetors have, but i beleive it is british so you could have yourself a pat on the back for buying british.

I wouldn't discount the marrantz though, i would say its as good an option as the Ancrum but more on the movie side, at least thats what it's pedegree would suggest.