What amp to replace my old SA200 power amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by vistisen, Aug 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. vistisen

vistisen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have an old A&R Cambridge SA200 power amp from 1981 (?) which is currently used to bi-amp the bass of my Kef 104/2s using an FMJ A22 as the preamp/power amp for the mid and treble. What I want to know as how far up the chain do I have to go when I need to replace the old SA200 which has given me 20 years of excellent service. Would an Arcam 8P be better or do I need to go higher (a 10P or an FMJ P25) The two issues that annoy me with the SA200 are that it has a different gain 29 db rather than 32 db as the FMJ (I equalise this using the kef kube200 that sits between the bass speakers and the amp), the second more annoying issue is that there is no 12V trigger, not only this, the power amps on/off switch has given up the ghost and the KUBE causes a large thump through the speakers when it is turned on. I can remember to take the mains cable out at the back first, but the wife and kids... :devil: Any suggestions? there are a lot of amps on Ebay but what to choose!

2. oceanrower

oceanrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    From what I can notice in your equipment you should A) only use the FMJ A22 or B) invest in a P35 or an Arcam Alpha 10 power amp, which is very similar to your A22.

The alternative is to have some sort of amplification that do not involve the A22 at all. Only using your A22 should be a sound quality increase from your previous set up. However, it seems like you are fond of a warm tubelike sound. Therefor the Arcam Alpha 10 or the Arcam Delta 275 amp should be on your shortlist. The Delta 275 is very old but you can still buy them new in Germany. Have a look at: www.audiovision-shop.de

3. oceanrower

oceanrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Of cause I meant the Arcam Delta 290 and nothing else... must be tired. :smashin:

4. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can get P25's for a good price and they should be gain matched to your current A22. P35's are almost identical. If your looking to use it with DVD then you can often get the P25/3 or P35/3 which can then biamp your centre channel with the AVR's.