1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Amp to best match with Mordaut-Short Genie speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by richard76, May 7, 2005.

1. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone care to give your recommendations on which amplifier to match the Genie speakers, Marantz, Denon or Yamaha ?

2. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have the Denon 2805 with mine and I'm very happy with the setup. Have not compared this to others though.

3. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I run them with a Denon 3805, and they sound pretty good. Very 'warm' sounding though, and not to everyones taste. I have not had a chance to try them with another amp though, sorry.

4. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you mean by "warm" sound?

5. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would explain it as a ‘non-piercing’ sound - the opposite would be a bright sounding amp (such as a Pioneer). Think of a bright sound as pane of glass shattering, it’s like a ‘metallic’ sound that is piercing - so loud it makes your eyes blink. I know this sounds stupid, but a warm sound would have this harshness toned down a bit. It doesn’t mean the sound is any less detailed, it just means you can play movies nice and loud without the ‘in your face’ harshness associated with bright sounds. My reason for choosing the Denon over a Pio was because my room is very minimalist, with no carpet and wooden floors, and a bright sounding Amp would just make the problem worse. Also, with the Genie’s having a metal case, I thought it would be best to go for the ‘warm’ Denon.

That probably hasn’t helped you at all! Someone more qualified than me may want to step in with their explanation at this point. It’s worth pointing out that some people prefer a brighter sounding Apm such as the Pio. From the demo’s I had a while ago, the Mission M-cubes sounded pretty dull with the Denon, and I believe from what people have said they are a much better match with the Pio. Best to get a demo and see what you think, it’s all down to personal taste at the end of the day - neither are wrong.

6. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another very happy Denon 2805 user here in another fairly minimal room. The sound very good with music and fantastic with films.

7. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you get to compare that with a Marantz amp? wonder how it sounds like

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Marantz and Mordaunt Short work very closely together so I suspect this amp speaker combo would work very well indeed.

Tons Of Fun who frequents these very forums could shed some light on this for us as he is a Mordaunt Short expert :)

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    We do but neither of us work so closely as to preclude our stuff being used elsewhere. Don't forget that in Japan, Marantz distribute B&W so there will always be some compromises.

That said I do think that the current generation of Marantz amps (in particular the 5500, 7500 and 8500 which I have heard) are fine choices but given that I have happy customers with virtually every brand of amp you cannot go too far wrong. My faves would be Marantz and Denon for all round work and facilities and Pioneer for films only- no doubt a monstrous regiment of Pioneer owners will appear defending their amps musical prowess but as a Pioneer owner I personally don't think mine could play a tune to save itself.