Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What amp + speakers (on a student budget!)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by onewingedangel, Sep 11, 2003.

1. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    What Amp + speakers would you reccomend on a students budget of approx. £250 but preferrably cheaper. PLII would be preferred as I have a lot of DD 2.0 dvd's, as well as the usual dolby and dts 5.1 disks.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm a student and managed my AV kit on my budget - worked my arse off to get it though!

I'd suggest you'd be better off buying in stages as otherwise you'll regret spending the money early on and having to upgrade almost immediately.

I'd recommend you got a good AV amp - any of the Marantz or Denon range should do you fine, and a good pair of reasonable sized stereo speakers - probably stand mount as they're cheaper, maybe Mission M72's or similar.

This will be a colossal improvement over your TV (and possibly hifi) in itself but provides easy upgrades (centre and rear speakers) as soon as you've got some cash. I understand you wanting (needing!) 5.1, but I'm sure other forum members will agree that this is a sensible way to go.

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Seconded, You could start with a Marantz SR4200, and some stereo speakers, possibly Mission M771e (Richer sounds do them very cheap you should get both under £300). You can move the Fronts to the rear when you can afford more speakers Maybe the 773e floor sanders and a matching centre for front duties. You could always buy some very cheap speakers initially in order to get surround, But do not skimp on the amp and stereo pair, Try looking at the HiperFi add in what HiFi or E-Bay for temporary cheap speakers.

4. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    While your suggestions make a lot of sense, the TV I bought only a few months ago doesn't support component, and as such I would have to route all my rgb scarts through a seperate hub, which would be slightly annoying (but do-able). Also as I will be in halls of residence (for the first year at least) I would be looking at sattellite speakers as opposed to powerhouses of either the bookshelf of floorstanding varieties. To this end I've been looking at the pioneer vsx-c301, which although not very powerful or fully specced does feature scart connections, which would be more suitable at present (unless I get a new tv only months after spending loads on the one I've got). Any comments on this, or any suggestions for some reasonably priced and decent quality satelite speakers + sub.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Onewingedangel - why didn't you mention those requirements in your original post??

Any why make a post as-if you're technically naive when you basically know exactly what you want (VSX-C301)???

6. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

I want to see what people would recommend, as I have not purchased an av reciever or home cinema speakers before. and I would be willing to use an external scart hub if need be to have a better, longer lasting reciever, so any amp suggestions are not in vain. However in regards to the speakers, that should have probably been mentioned earlier, but really, I would love to be persuaded to go for something larger, no matter how overbearing on a small student room they may appear.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A mate of mine got his Mission 701's (that are now mine!) in his room at uni. Along with big surround amp, TV, CD deck, VCR, computer etc

It just takes a bit of thinking about.

8. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I still haven't seen my room at uni, so don't know how much space I'll have. The amp can fit on my tv's stand, as all thats on it now is my ps2, vcr and cable box (to be replaced by freeview for uni). But in terms of speakers I don't know how therooms arranged.

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The rooms we had in halls basically had desk space along 3 walls, and a bed along the other. Total size was about 4m x 3m so you might end up with the TV in, then kit stacked next to it and a couple of speakers at each end. That's what we did anyway!

With the computer in there as well all work has to be done on the bed though.

10. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Yup, my halls room was microscopic!! Managed to get in an oldish 7 x 80w yammy amp (hand-me-down with 7ch DSP!), Panny SVHS VCR (Argos Manager special, ex-demo), Toshiba CD (Richer Sounds ex-demo), Yammy minidisc (Sevenoaks hifi ex demo), Eltax fronts (Richer sounds special offer), wharfedale centre (same RS offer), Pioneer rears (thrown in with same RS offer), Tosh DVD (RS offer). ITV digital was the only expensive thing at the time, but now freeview is available you sould have plenty of channels too!

RS is great as long as you already know what you want. They attract custom in with big brands, but will ty to sway you to a lesser brand that more than likely has a larger profit margin. At uni all my research was internet and What Hifi adverts until I saw what I wanted in a special, or on a ex demo list somewhere!!! Then it's just a case of going round there and bartering like there's no tomorrow (students have the right to do this even more than the rest of us!).

I got most of this stuff together in the first year at uni, I finished last summer and I still use all the components in various places in my house. Of course it did start an addiction that sucks all my money away that hasn't already been spent on the car!!!