1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What amp should I go with?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Red Frank, May 18, 2005.

1. Red Frank

Red Frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I'm new to home cinema and I'm about to confirm an order the following equipment (alternatives in bracket). Real question is on the receiver.

TV: Xelos A37
    Receiver : Sony STR DB795
    DVD: Sony RDR GX210
    Speakers;
    Front: B&W 604 S3 (602.5 S3 + ASW 650)
    Center: B&W LCR 60 S3
    Rear: B&W 601 S3

May seem like a strange set up - I'm new!

Room size is 6x4 meters and usage will be 70% Cinema and 30% Music

Wonder if anyone out there can propose any alternatives. Have been offered JBL Northridge series for half the price of B&W (E20 x2; E80 x2; EC25 & E150

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I feel the reciever is going to be totally out classed with the speakers. Consider the Yamaha rxv1500 from Germany for arround £400 deleivered or its bigger brother for approx £550.(£599 delivered from Superfi )

Also dont bother with the b&w sub. If you need a small sub get the BK XLS200 or if you have more room and want more power the newer Monolith :devil:

Nice screen choice :smashin: :cool:

3. Red Frank

Red Frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have revised the order and replaced the fronts with 602.5S3 and the sub with the ASW600. I looked around today and I'm practically decided on the RXV 650. I'm in Belgium and the best price I can get on the RXV1500 is 900 euros versus 500 euros for the RXV 650 - is the 1500 really twice as good?

BTW my kids are both very young, so I wont get much chance to crank up the system. Hopefully as they get older, I can upgrade my system.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Frank.

My 2 pennies worth.

I prefer the LCR60 with the DM602.5 (and the LCR600 with the DM604’s).

I would have been more inclined to upgrade the sub to the ASW675, and use the smaller DM600 as rears. But that would be to cater for my tastes and needs.

I think your chosen amp (Sony) may begin to struggle when you do turn up the “wick”, but will be fine for normal/average listening volumes (even more for the 604’s). If it does begin to struggle, a power amp could be added later to address this.

Not familiar with the JBL’s, but I would think that the B&W’s would have a better upgrade potential.