What Amp Should I Get ?

Basinguy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Acoustic Energy Aelite 2 Speakers & Use QED Silver Anniversary XT cable.

What Amp Can People Recommend To Me, I Like To Listen Loud And Budget Is Around £650, preferably less though

DEMO

Matching speakers and amp isnt easy without listening to them both working together, so find your local dealer and get a good 3 hour demo with your speakers.

It is down to personal taste on which is best. Some very good deals on the second hand market at that price though. Maybe arcam or musical fedelity.

At that price you have to listen to What Hi-Fi's favourite - Roksan Kandy L
Mk III. Also it'll handle much better speakers when it comes time to upgrade. It'll go lound it's probably one of the highest/loudest rated amps for that price at 120 w. But as I've said on previous posts, it isn't for everyone.

I agree with the comment above though - you will have to demo.

You haven't said what your source will be?

i dont have a source at the moment, and forgot to mention that there should be a matching cd player for the amp, and preferably a dab radio too.

i have seen the marantz 7001 which has this, has anyone got any opinions on this amp ?

If you're looking to get a CD, amp and dab for £650, I would look at the Cambridge 640A amp and matching CD player (v2). That will set you back £500 (and if you buy from Richers at the mo' you will get free MS speakers).

This leaves you with some spare for the DAB.

I've not heard the Marantz you mention.

If you want better value for money, you could go the S/H route, as previouslt mentioned, you could get some good Arcam kit at that price.

i could push £499 for the amp alone (credit card limit) but it would really have to be something to make me want it

thank you lazymatt, just had a look at the 640a and looks very good for the money, and luckily they have a matching cd player AND DAB tuner, seems fantastic.

will go down to richer sounds after xmas when cash flow is a little less restricted and have a listen, i much prefer the look to the marantz.

prehaps you could explain why on the back there is 2 lots of L&R speaker outputs, is it for bi-wiring or is it designed for 4 speakers ?

It'll drive 2 sets of speakers.

Also don't forget to have a look/listen at the 540's as well. They are usually cheaper, but the deal Richers have on makes the 640's a better bet at the moment.

BTW any of that range are really sturdily built, and as a nice extra touch have a nice remote control.

Don't forget to have a listen to some other makes at the same price point as well...just for comparison purposes. Richers stock Marantz, but if you can get to a SSAV, you should be able to have a listen to the Rotel. And in the new year you may get some really good deals.

Let us know how you get on.:thumbsup:

i dont have a source at the moment, and forgot to mention that there should be a matching cd player for the amp, and preferably a dab radio too.

i have seen the marantz 7001 which has this, has anyone got any opinions on this amp ?

First off dude, DAB radio is crap. Your better off listening to a Freeview STB/PVR thru ytour hifi amp than a DAB tuner, or even better spend £40 on Ebay for a FM Tuner, will blow DAB into the weeds.

So back to the amp, sounds like your looking for an all matching affair, to me one of the most interesting budget amps out recently is the Denon PMA1500AE £550 a raft of facilities and criminally underlooked due to being a Denon and built in Japan, ie not given the kudos in british hifi press.

After that buying new I would save your monies up for a Cambridge Audio 840, £750 probably the best thing to hit budget amps in a few years. A quick note on second hand : £500-650 will buy you these amps :

Nait5i, Sugden A21, Unico, Sony TAF777ES, Primare I20, Rotel 1060 And many more. A huge leap over the Marantz 7001 - if your dead set on the Marantz look at the 7002 KI.

i had a liten to the denon but i didnt like it as much as the marantz, i guess hi-fi is all about how you think it sounds, everyone hears differently.

if i was going to go for the Camridge it would have to be the 640 series, and with regard to the DAB, the tuner has FM anyway, so if i think DAB is crap i can always switch back.

Gonna go down saturday for a listen to the cambridge and see how it is =)

the naim is awesome but matchin seperates are just too steep for my current earnings, plus it isnt as powerful

the naim is awesome but matchin seperates are just too steep for my current earnings, plus it isnt as powerful

:lesson: never believe the power ratings until you hear an amp going full tilt :lesson:

best regards dude

dont look at the figures alone, my Nait5i will push speakers to volumes and with levels of control some of the "higher powered" amps mentioned can only dream of!!!

It's all in the current delivery!

still a bit out of my price range, thanks for the recommendation though,

think im gonna go for the cambridge audio 640 series, reviews say its great for the price =)

Hi there, I actually have the 640a and 640c. I've had these for over a year. I've just added a set of quad 12L v2 to this and the sound is stunning. A question for people who have a better amp or more expensive, in what way are say the roksan kandy or arcam better than the 640a as the sound is outstanding to me and can't see how it can get better.

I would say improved detail, resolution, dynamics and especially timing.

The thing is the 540 & 640 are so good that I reckon you would have to spend considerably more to get a really noticable improvement.

At the end of the day, as long as you're enjoying your system, that's the main thing.

Cheers Matt, not much point in me upgrading then, just stick with the 640a i think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom