1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Amp should i get ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NastyButNice, Feb 9, 2001.

1. NastyButNice

NastyButNice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I`m fairly new to this home cinema thing, played around with it about 5 years ago but nothing serious. NOW i`m ready for the big time. I have got a SONY KV-32WS2U 32" Widescreen TV with Dolby Pro-Logic and Toshiba SD 3107B DVD player(chipped for Multi-region) but i want to upgrade to Dolby Digital, I am considing the Yamaha DSP A5 amp for this job, Is it upto it ?.
    I have a budget of £300 so i think the SONY STRDB940 is a bit out of my reach, although if is as good as i have read it might be worth it ?.
    Any ideas of any other amps ?
    Also does anyone know how to turn of the speakers on the SONY KV-32WS2U so that all the sound will go thru the amp ?, Had an old toshiba TV which had a switch on the back but can`t see any option for this on the sony ?.

Cheers in advance

Ian

2. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Nasty,

Would you consider gettig the rather cheaper Pioneer VSA-E03 amp? I have had this for over a year or so and am very happy with it. OK it might not be up there with the Yamaha or Sony, but it is on sale for as little as £119 from Richer Sounds and it is an excellent entry level amp.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The A5 should be a good choice if you are on a budget, not much competition around there.

As for the TV sound: why not set the volume to the lowest level?

4. NastyButNice

NastyButNice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, That`s what i have gone for in the end; got the Yamaha DSP-A5 and a Tannoy MXC centre speaker, but can anyone suggest a good sub-woofer for it ?.
    As for the TV sound i guess that`s what i have to do is turn the volume down can`t find any switch to them off ??

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No switch on my TV either. Just lower the volume and that's it ... don't use the "MUTE" function as else you will always have the stupid word on the screen (for most TV's at least).

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 12-02-2001).]

6. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go with the Yamaha for a budget of £300, Yamahas have allways made doog music amps as well as surround ones, and at £250 Richer sounds, it is a bargain..

I've had Yamaha for the last 10 years and enjoyed every minute of it..

(It was really hard to buy a Pioneer last month, but I had to have THX...)

7. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my Sony TV. I contacted Sony who told me that you could not mute the phone connectors and advised me to use one of the scarts. Shame but there you go.

8. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should have said that you turn the volume down on the TV, using the scart will still give sound to your amp.

9. RobG

RobG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yam DSP-A5. Be careful in what speakers you select. I bought the amp at the saqme time I bought my speakers (Acoustic Energy 120s - primarily for music). The guy at the shop was really helpful, I tried the Yam amp, a denon & another amp (can't remember now!) all around £300, together with a Tannoys ?T3? (my pre-demo recommended choice), Mission speakers, Celestions & finally the AE speakers.

The guy had a rig so that you could switch between speakers by the press of a button; I tried all combinations using both phono & coax to my DVD player (which I'd brought in).
    I listen to rock & loud miusic, so this is only my preference - but when the Yam was played through the AEs the hair on the back of my neck stood up - nothing came close to this combination !!!

So to sum up - go for the Yam it's great, but there are few amps around - if you already have speakers ask for a home demo first or atleast try to match what you buy against what you already have. I couldn't believe the difference in the speakers - all around the same price but so so different. Lucky I was after amp & speakers and had the money to buy them at the same time.

Enjoy your purchase!!

Rob

10. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    I have a Sony KV32-FX60 and was having the same difficulty with connecting to my Yamaha DSPA5.
    Finally I found out that if you drop the TV volume to zero this has no effect on the phono outputs on the back of the TV. The TV remembers the sound setting when it is switched off.
    The output level on the phonos is adjusted by the headphone volume control in the menus!

Hope that's useful.

AMc