What Amp should I get?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ghost Dancer, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Ghost Dancer

Ghost Dancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm am currently delving into the wonders of home cinema and I have being doing some reading to see what kit I want to purchase. I will mostly be watching movies and watching/recording TV, but I will also be listening to music on it too.

I currently have:
    TV: Panasonic TX-32PD30
    DVD Player: Kiss DP508 (which I currently use for DVD, CD, MP3 and movie files)

I will be adding:
    DVD Recorder: Panasonic DMRE85HEBS or the new DMRE95HEBS
    Speakers: Crane Oceana 3
    Amp: ?????

I will most likely add a dedicated CD player and/or DVD player in the future, but for now the DVD recorder will be used to play DVDs and CDs. I will continue to use the Kiss for MP3s and movie files.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the Amp. I am looking for one in the £500 to £1000 price range but I really don't know which one is best. The Dennon 2803 seems to be a popular choice and some of the Yamaha ones are too, but I just don't know what is going to be best for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

2. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    In this price bracket have you considered Denon 3805, Pioneer Ax5i, Yamaha 2400RDS, Arcam AVR300. You should be able to get them all for under or around £1000. I too am currently looking for an amp and these are my shortlisted ones. Haven't had chance to audition them just yet, but from what I've read and heard, they're all extremely capable and handle all the current sound formats.

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have only had experience with the Denon 3805 but would highly recommend it at under £1k

Jeff

4. Ghost Dancer

Ghost Dancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. The Denon 3805 looks interesting - I think I'll read up on it :)

5. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    There a few other posts regarding amp choices, one of them raised by me. I suggest you also read them. Original my first choice was the Denon cos it has more inputs, auto-setup, really nice learning remote, i-link and another 2 additional zones. But now I'm a bit undecided because some people are saying that compared to the Arcam it's a bit weak, in stereo and in surround sound. I'm going to audition them both myself soon to find out whether the difference in quality is enough to justify paying the extra £500 for the Arcam.
    Don't forget the Pioneer Ax5i and the Yamaha 2400RDS are also in this price bracket and have also received excellent reviews. What HifI? mag did a group test of the above amps (with exception of Pioneer) and they all received a lot of praise with the Yamaha winning the group test, but remeber that's all subjective.
    Hope all this helps. At the end of day it's down to your 'ears' and the price. How much is the difference in quality wirth between 2 products: £100? £200? ... ... £500 ???