1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what amp should i buy for £200-300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tony kop77, Dec 11, 2002.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I am looking to upgrade, i currently have a yamaha AV-Receiver RX-V396RDS amp with N-P210 speakers and a sony NS 900 dvd player.

My bedroom is about 10ft by 10ft i use my amp for music pc games,psx2,gamecube and of course home cinema.

I was thinking of buying the denon 1602 but i see the sony 1070 is available for £300 and has 6.1 also heard marantz is a good amp so what amp should i go for. I will be buying the kef egg speakers in about 3 months time i dont think it is worth haveing 6.1 in my bedroom though pro logic 2 might be good as gamecube works with pro logic 2.

Thank you for your help, the reason why i want a new amp is because sometimes i dont feel the explosions are loud enough though gladiator and minority report is good sound. I remember when i first got my home cinema and first time i heard it it was amazing but 2 years later i take it for granted

2. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just to let you know, Richer Sounds are doing the Yamaha RX-V630 receiver for £320.

I upgraded this from the Yammy 396 package like yours and noticed a huge improvement.

In general, people think that this sounds better than the Sony. Plus, its 6.1 and had DPL II on top of this.

Alan

PS. I don't think that this thread should be in the classified ads section, more like Amps & Receivers.

3. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wrong forum

4. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken delivery of a Denon 1803, which is very good. I also demoed the Marantz 5300, which was also very good, however it may be a little out of your price range.

The build quality on the Denon is superb, and it looks stunning in Gold. The sound on Movies is fantastic, although if Music is more you thing, I would probably spend the extra and go for the Marantz, as I think it had the edge. I think the Denon is a bargain at £300 which should not be over looked.

I also demoed the Yamaha 630, and IMHO the Denon and Marantz were slightly better.

5. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How about the maratanz 4300, can be had for around £270

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I amp prepered to spend £350-400 would i be able to get a good amp for that or will it be entry leval.
    I am looking for a mid range amp at the min i have NS-P210 speakers with sub but about August time i will be getting Kef egg speakers, my bedroom is about 10ft by 10ft so what amp should i be looking for and what outputt should i be looking for for example is 70 watts per chaneal going to be enough for my room.

My current speakers are
    nominal is 30W maximum
    input power is 100W
    Impedance is 6
    Frequency response 65Hz-20Khz

I thought Denon amps were the best which is i was thinking of 2802, i have a gamecube so pro logic 2 would be good but i guess not essential and i am thinking of going to 6.1 when i get the kef speakers though dont know if 6.1 would be good in a room my size. I just need some helpfull advice and tips