Question What amp/receiver?

Darkwerewolf

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need a bit of advice and some recommendations on what amp or receiver to get. I have 4, 8 ohm speakers and 8 seperates that I want to connect to one amp/receiver for music purposes only. I've been away from hi-fi seperates for a few years and I'm quite rusty as to what's what. My speakers are 250w each and I obviously don't need an amp/receiver that powerful as its pointless. I guess I could lose one seperate machine and drop it down to 7 but I'd like to connect all if possible. If I could I'd like to be able to connect an iPad if I can so what do you think? I'd like to stay around the £200 mark so obviously I'd be looking at secondhand (no problem with that) so what should I be looking at? I really do like the Yamaha RX-V673 but could it cope with my needs? Many thanks guys :)

Hi and welcome

What are the 8 separates? Once known then one can say if it can cope with your needs and/or suggestions can be made that can, though I dear say the budget looks a bit lean for anything new so its good that you are considering 2nd hand.

If its just for music, then you should be looking at a stereo amp. The Yamaha RX-V673 is a avr and though very capable of playing music, not as good as similar price stereo amp

Thank you Don Dadda, my needs are for a turntable, a CD player, a CD jukebox and a recordable CD also a mini disc a cassette deck a tape to tape deck a DCC deck. I used to have an amp that ran the lot (can't remember what it was) but I'd like to do it again. I would like an amp that was a beefy sound that can run the 4 speakers without worry.... What do you think? As I said secondhand isn't an issue for me. :thumbsup:

WOW! That's a lot of separates and you want to add the iPhone on top to make the 8.
I think you will struggle to find a stereo amp to accommodate all of those and may need additional help from a phono switch if you run out of connections.

Are all the separate analogue connected? Does the CD player have a digital output?

By the looks of the Yam 673, it will not be able to accommodate all separates without the use of all inputs (digital and analogue) and even then, will not be able to do it even if you had digital output on any of your sources.
You will also need to add a phono stage for the turntable as there isn't one on board.
Same for a stereo amp if it doesn't a phono stage.

A higher end AVR, the level on the likes of a Yamaha RX-A1020, can accommodate all via analogue and i think has Airplay for iThings. I'm just using the above as a reference to show it is possible and not a suggestion as they are way above budget even secondhand, but a older version may be possible.

What are the speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom