Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What amp for under £300???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by damienb, May 24, 2001.

1. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

was just wondering what amp you would recommend for under £300, I know it is a small budget but I have to stay low due to having to buy the flat to put my new system in! Have read the review of the new Kenwood in this months HCC mag, anyone got one? Is it as good as they say for £230? Have you got a better suggestion?

Oh, I have already bought the Philips 28PW6305 widescreen that will be the centre of the system, and a Sony DVP525S which I will be using to decode DTS and DD. Front surrounds are going to be my floor standing Eltax's, which have a loads/too much base, so won't be buying a sub, and will probably be buying the Richer Sounds 3 Eltax speaker package for £100 for centre and rears.

All ideas welcome, thanks in advance,

Damien :confused:

2. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, have just been to Richer Sounds and spotted they are selling the Kenwood KRFV5050 (Silver) for £179.95! Any views on this??

Damien

3. jonny

jonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been in the same situation for months and i decided on the denon 1801 i also looked at the Yamaha A5 Denon 1601 and a few of the sonys but i know these are crap for music. If you arnt going to use the amp for music then i suggest you look at the www.upgradeheaven.co.uk/clearance.htm website, they have a sony 840 amp for £270 which is £130 off the normal price. ive dealt with these guys before and they are excellent. Or alternativly www.sdb-electronics.com have a few good deals like the denon 1801 which was only £250, and ive seen it advertised for alot more. I dont really know about the kenwoods because ive had problems with budget kit before so i stayed away from it this time. I think you shuld look at the Yamaha A5 Denon 1601 or 1801 and pioneer also do the ??609 which is also meant to be a good preformer.

Hope this all makes some sense and helps, Jon.

[ 24-05-2001: Message edited by: jonny ]

4. knobitt

knobitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spotted the Kenwood KRFV5050 over at Empire Direct for £173(Black or Silver) ;)

Shop around you'll find a Yamaha A5 for £250

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the A5 is good and you can get them cheap, especially because they have been replaced. But my honest advice, i have an A5, is to save your money! another £300 will get you looking at a denon 3801....which is an entirely different league!

6. Wozbit

Wozbit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you had a look at the sony STRDB-930 as this a better unit then the 840 you have looked at, also if you go to richer sound's get a copy of what hifi and look at the add as the price will be lower then in other mag's and make sure you take it with you to them or you will pay more.

hope this help's.

7. stefinch

stefinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Yamaha A595a, the build quality is excellent, had it a few years now and never had a problem with it. The sony 930 is a great buy from richer but thats if they have them in stock (probably not). Try hyper-fi London (advert in What hi-fi mag) these also do some great prices on all the above.

8. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the sherwood r925 the best budget amp on the market. :D
    it,s a bit more expensive than the yammy 595 but takes it clean out.

[ 27-05-2001: Message edited by: chrisyt ]

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst not wishing to appear rude, i would not heed the above post's advice.

10. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again not wishing for "tittle-tattle" involvement here, i think (in fact i would go so far as to say i know) that you 99% of long term/experienced H.C. enthusiast's would chose Yamaha A.V amps/recievers over Sherwood on reputation alone without. Yamaha has a long standing affection from H.C lovers, for many of us it was our introduction to the "addiction".
    Yamaha : Solid Build, Solid Performance, Utterly Reliable (I've owned 3 but now use Denon).
    Sherwood, particually the 925 (which is VERY old now) from my obsverations : Average Build, Average Performance but weedy output stage, Not Terribly Reliable - this model tended to blow up - literally!!!

Regards (without malice)

SteveEX

P.S. I have never owned a Sherwood (nor, most likely, will i) but have spoken/corresponded with many who have.

12. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a sherwood, had it changed 3 times over 12 months because of various faults, some intermittent. Then got it upgraded to Yam 595a (A5 pretty much). Verdict (and this IS considering that the Sherwood was ASTOUNDING VALUE at the time of purchase, but not any more...)

Sherwood blows in every way. Poor sound & build quality.

Yamaha sounds 100 % better. The surround feels "natural" and enveloping exactly like the Sherwood does not.

Cya :)

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Case closed i believe

14. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, i,ll be back to re open it later, but i,ve gotta shoot off for now! ;)

15. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont know if this is any help,but there is a Yamaha DSP3090 on ebay for £300 which has met its reserve price and is a very good amp.
    I know Richer sounds also do some great deals.
    Rob

16. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to the Sherwood, its better to spend a little bit extra on something better. I have a Sherwood and I'm not totally happy with it when it comes to its output. :(

17. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, I agree with SteveEX, but I think that I would go as far as to say that Yamaha and Denon rule the Home Cinema roust as far as integrated amps go; you won't do much better than any model by these manufacturers (at their price points).
    Mark

18. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who said Sony amps were rubbish at music. Not on your nelly matey. My 940 rocks and HC is awesome. Mind you, my speakers did cost more than my house.......

S

19. knobitt

knobitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly over £300 at Richer is the Yamaha A5 replacement, the brand spanking new DSPAX620 :)

20. JulesH

JulesH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  21. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all of you who have offered your advice and comments. I think it is looking like a test drive for the Yammy A5! Will let you know how I get on.

Damien ;)

22. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just remembered (several months on) that I never did say how I got on! Thought I would keep you all on the edge of your seats for a while. Ended up buying (drum roll please........)

The Yammy DSPAX620! Got it from John Lewis price matched from can't remember were. They were still selling the A5 for £400, and got the new model for £290ish! Was and am very pleased, lovely amp, great range of options.

Damien

23. DiabloRex

DiabloRex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to know what model you ended up picking.

But you call a year and a half several months? :) lol

24. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was intended to carry a certain amount of irony! lol

Was browsing the forum for something else, and this thread that I had started came up in the results, so thought I would read it again just for fun, then realised I hadn't finished it! Although I do think that I posted the fact that I had bought it in a seperate topic. Anyways, now it is out there for all to see.

Cheers,

Damien

25. LBB

LBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Either go for Yamaha DSPAX620 or Marantz 4200. Both going for £200 if you look in the back of What Hi-Fi at the Richer Sounds advert. Have a Yamaha DSPA-5 myself and can't fault it.

26. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL!:D go back and read the 3 posts above yours! LOL!

Taz.:cool: