What amp for some Focal Chorus 714

Derkster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Let me give you what I intend to do 1st.

I have had 5.1 systems for a number of years but a lot of my viewing pleasure was watching music blurays. I ended up reverting to stereo which I preffered so never really utilised the system for what it was there for, I have since sold everything and I am ready for a new build.

I have a few parameters though. Must be wife friendly, quite compact, not to expensive but also have good sound quality. I am probably going to do the cardinal sin and buy a set of speakers without listening to them 1st but reading up on the above they seem to get good reviews.

I need an amp that I can connect to my tv so I can play my blurays but don't need all the bells and whistles etc.. I don't want to spend the earth but I'm not afraid of putting my money into a half decent bit of kit.

So has anybody got any recommendations?

If you nit going 4k soon and you believe you will want to have stereo playback for movies then I would go second hand. Loads of older model amps now for sale due to people upgrading for 4k and atmos.
You don't mention budget but I would def consider a higher end amp with better dacs on board that's second hand as it will still pass through 1080p for your Bluray and the decoding can be done by either your player or amp as it's going to down mix the movie tracks to 2 ch stereo in any event.
So maybe a yamaha 3030 or 3040 perhaps denon 7100 etc

I cant make out if you are after a stereo amp or a receiver.
If stereo then i can recommend a Cambridge Audio or if receiver then id go with Denon.

i can only comment on Focal speakers ... you wont be disappointed. I bought Chorus 836vw after demo'ing them for 1 minute. I love their signature sound... and judging from what other Focal owners say, only way to upgrade Focal speakers is to buy higher model Focals than you currently got :)

From personal experience I can say that marantaz and focal go well together, I also believe that roksan and focal work well together to going by the reviews for focal speakers where they have used roksan

i can only comment on Focal speakers ... you wont be disappointed. I bought Chorus 836vw after demo'ing them for 1 minute. I love their signature sound... and judging from what other Focal owners say, only way to upgrade Focal speakers is to buy higher model Focals than you currently got :)

Fully agree :) recently switched to focal from pmc with dynaudio before that, and wish I had got them in the 1st place. Truly amazing speakers that just keep getting better

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom