What amp for Sennheiser HD25's?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Porschecraig, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Porschecraig

Porschecraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just been given a wonderfull set of HD25's from my girlfriend for my birthday last week. i needed closed headphones and something that was pretty much universal.

When i first plugged them into my Arcam AVR300 amp I thought they lacked deffinition. I was told that i should play them for up to 50 hours 1st. I did but was not really impressed until i plugged them into my laptop and WOW! I was blown away but it could be smoother.

Now i know that the headphones run at 70 ohms. I'm not sure what the laptop ouputs at but after checking, my amplifier puts out 300 ohms through the headphone socket. i have figured that the best way to get decent sound to my cans from my hifi system is to get a seperate headphone amplifier. I have everything connected via my AVR amp and would like to use this as the main source.

The question is, what headphone amplifier would people suggest for me to keep the similar soft & smooth sound i love from Arcam? i dont want to blow much, maybe up to £150??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi there....the amplifier itself doesnt "put out" ohms at all.

The ohm figure quoted is the impedance value(resistance if you like) into which the amplifier is capable of working.

Your laptop's headphone amp is capable of driving headphones with an impedance of up to 300 ohm,and your headphones have a quoted impedance of 70 ohms...this is fine.

OK....headphone amps.....there are a huge number available now at the sort of price level you're looking at,and the best way to start is to search this area for things like the Little Dot,X-Cans etc and begin by searching on "headphone amp" to get some idea of the range available.

3. Porschecraig

Porschecraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for your input.

Given what you have said, do you think i would benefit much from a headphone amp?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Thats a more difficult question to answer,and in short...possibly is what I would say.

If you can,try a headphone amp such as the X-Cans,which a lot of dealers do carry,and is one of the easiest quality amps to find and try out.

5. Porschecraig

Porschecraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i have been looking at x-cans V2 on ebay. I am told that they are soft sounding and easily upgradable. If i do not find much difference from my av amp in terms of sound quality, i will jusr re-sell the x-cans.

Thanks again for you input.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    X-Cans are easy to find and also easy to upgrade and there is a reasonable amount of net info on this.

The easiest mod is to change the cheap stock tubes for decent NOS(new old stock) tubes,of which there are loads of good examplesa round...look for Mullard and similar.