What amp for Monitor Audio rs6s?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NBUK, Jan 29, 2009.

1. NBUK

NBUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi folks,

I'm on a rollercoaster ride that has taken me from amp to amp and speaker to speaker..
    I have settled for the MA rs6s for my front speakers, MA RSLCR/BRLCR for centre, then using some B&W601s I already have for rears..

My question is this; will the denon 1909 have any poblems running the above setup?
    I have done a lot of reading and think I have my head around the different things to look for
    i.e. denon 1909 - 7 channels at 120w @ 6 ohms, MA rs6 - 120w @ 6 ohms.
    Am i right in assuming they're a good match?

The only difference that my unprofessional eye can see (apart from obvious specs) between the denon 1909 and some of the higher models (2309, 2809) is the wattage. Seeing as the speakers max out at 120w, would I be better to stay with the 1909 then go with an amp that has more juice than the speakers can handle?

Reason I ask is that some posts have suggested the 1909 won't do the speakers justice. Hence the research and my amateurosh conclusion!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as i am hoping to make the purchase over the weekend.

Thanks in advance

P.s. unfortunately I am on a budget but if you feel the amp upgrade will provide a noticable difference then I would see no point in skimping only to regret it later.

2. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,984
    Hi what about onkyo range they will drive RS6s alright some good prices on these amps at riches sound at the moment,got the onkyo 906 driving mine Monitor Audio setup:D

3. beerhov

beerhov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    If you’ve splashed out on RS6’s then you’re not really going to get the full benefit out of them if you drive them with a £400 ish AV amp.

My advice would be to purchase an AV amp with pre-outs, so that you can add a power amp at a later stage. Then you can always run non AV sources through a pre-amp and not the AV amp.

After all, you’d never put a Mini engine into a Porsche…

4. NBUK

NBUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hmm... thats partly what I mean though, looking at the amp specs and the speaker specs I posted above, I would have thought they'd be ok together.. Or am I missing something? :rolleyes:

5. beerhov

beerhov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Don’t get me wrong – it will work, but so will the Porsche with the Mini engine.

While an AV amp may have the power, it may not have the control, clarity, detail, bass weight etc of a hi-fi 2 channel amp.

6. bazonix

bazonix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    my friends father has just bought the rs8's and matching centre, a denon 2809, pv1 and kept his bose rear speakers... the hifi shop recommended the amp to partner with the speakers, charged him full price for everything but set it up for him at his home... :rolleyes: the room is 6m by 5m...

he invited me round a week or so ago to 'demo' the set up and quite frankly... it sounded pants... the denon's volume was almost on max and the front speakers sounded half asleep!! i tried to increase the gain on the sub, it struggled to fill the room... the rs8's were bi-amped by the way but it still lacked something.... in my opinion power... the centre speaker (i increased the db by 2) also sounded muffled....they are such quality yet sounded uninvolving..

my friend asked why it didnt sound like my set up (which made me happy!) and i said i think its the amp... (im running a hk255 but all speakers are powerd with seperate power amps)

im very dissapointed with the match recommended by the shop.... the rs8's are a serious speaker.... they have such prescence in the room.. but are ill matched with the amp.

so like the couple of responses you have had.... if u want a one box solution u will be looking at the higher end amps like the onkyo 906,denon 3808a or yammy 3900....

otherwise you will be wasting the potential of the rs6's...

just my 2p

:smashin:

7. NBUK

NBUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for your input beerhov and bazonix.
    I have a demo this afternoon at Sevenoaks with the RS6s and a 1909 so will see how they sound.. I'll also be sure to grill him about the amp.

I did initially want to demo 2 amps but he said the it could take the best part of 2 hours to configure the second amp and demo both sets.. Not something I can realistically do in one session.

I'll let you all know what he recommends and my thoughts on the sound..

8. beerhov

beerhov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    If you’ve got the time after demo’ing the Denon, ask them to setup an amp/cd combo… and then you can appreciate what the RS6’s are capable of :;)

9. NBUK

NBUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    back from my demo..

I managed to demo both the B&W 604 and the MA RS6s with a denon 1909.

I can see what people mean when they say the MA's are a little bright and the B&Ws warm. Not sure if im into the MA sound as ive had a pair of B&W 601s for some years and have become accustomed to the "warmness"!

Anyway, my visit now has me posing another couple of questions. This is of some urgency now as I understand that a load of manufacturers are putting the prices up in a couple of days time! :eek:

If I did buy an amp with a pre-out so that i could use my medi-ocre sony amp (the model escapes me right now) with it then how would this work? Would I be correct in assuming that I would plug my front speakers into this amp and if I ever wanted to use surround sound, both amps would need to be on? Also my amp does not have a sub out so if I wanted to listen to music on my frontsbut wanted some bass out of my sub then I would have to have both amps on?

Also at what price range do amps start to have additional pre-outs? I don't think i've stumbled across any in the budget amp range..

Once again your help is appreicated!

10. beerhov

beerhov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The MA’s sounds bright because of what you had partnered with them. Same as any combination, some work and some don’t, so you have to be careful how you partner…

Put the MAs with certain amps and they do sound bright, get the right one and they are sublime.

While you may think the B&Ws are warm, after listening some time to the MAs you may find them clearer and more neutral… Everyone has different tastes.

To use the AV pre-outs, you really need a 2 channel amp with inputs directly to the power amp. This results in the AV amp controlling the loudness of the signal to the 2 channel amp .If your Sony amp has not got this then your only choice is to use a usual line level input, but this means the Sony amp will have to be used to control the volume too, so its not an ideal setup, as you’ll be overloading the line level input.

The only £400 amp with pre-outs is the Yam DSP-AX763, which are out of stock at the moment.

With respect to the sub, most amps don’t have a channel to amplify the sub, so you’d need an active sub (one with a built in amp).

Hope it helps

11. NBUK

NBUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

Thanks again for your help beerhov.. Going back to my original question, do you know which amp may be the "right" one to partner with the RS6s that doesn't make them sound too bright?

I have read that the pioneers are a little bright so have avoided it but have heard nothing of any of the denon, onkyo or sony ranges when they'r partnered with them..

It just seemed to me that at higher volumes they became a little too harsh for my ears, though i appreciate that could well be the amp.

12. beerhov

beerhov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    In terms of £400 - £800 AV amps don't to be honest NBUK. Have a look under the MA forum and ask there: -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/monitor-audio-owners-forum/

Arcam amps go well with RS6s, but the AV amps come with a price tag to match. Audiolab amps make a good noise too with an accurate punchy bass, but less bass weight, but again you'll have to remortgage the house. Some also say the Audiolab amps are bright with MAs. To be more in budget the second hand market may be an idea. RS6s usually go best with British amps, but again this is where things go wrong as any British amp is going to cost.

With regards to the brightness it may be worth auditioning an £800 amp (Onkyo 876?) to compare the difference? Remember other things can have an effect on the brightness: the source; interconnects; speaker cable; bi-wire etc. While some speaker cables can turn down the brightness, they can also remove some of the detail.

My advice would be to look at a £400ish AV amp with pre-outs, live with the brightness for 12 months and then in the future add a power amp into the equation, whether it Arcam, Audiolab, Roksan etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  13. Neil Hawkes

Neil Hawkes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30