1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Amp For Mc 8

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by patmyhead, Dec 24, 2004.

1. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI
    i have a mc 8 on the way :clap: so now looking for a seven channel amp to go with it :confused: ,ether new or used

any recommendations out there :lesson:

merry christmas

Pat

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pat,
    I know it's not 7 channels but i heard the Parasound A51 AMP recently and it is a 5 channel powerhouse which sounds superb and should be considered seeing the quality processor you are about to aquire.
    And you could always add on one of there 2 channel amps for the full 7!

John

3. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Patmyhead,
    I recently acquired MC8 too,and I am still pondering on which amp to get, I have Martin Logan speakers so I have to choose carefully,There are a long list of good amps out there.
    One thing I dont really want is to end up with 2 or 3 separate amps.I've been looking at Audio Research,Bryston,and krell showcase,but the pendulum is swinging towards Lexicon LX7,200w per channel and it's 7channel amp as required.

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I agree with Recruit on this one :D . The A51 is a superb, powerful amp that will drive most speakers with ease. I think it churns out 250rms to each channel @ 8ohms and has a huge current capacity. Also weighs about 80lbs ! Add an A21 or an A23 two channel amp and you have your 7.1 system. An A51 + A23 would set you back £4,250 based on list but you can probalbly get a healthy discount off that. An A51 with an A21 will be £5,200 (list) but you only need the A21 if your rears require a ridiculous amount of power (which most dont).

The LX7 is a good amp as well and is one that I considered but for sheer output and sound quality the A51 has it licked. It weighs 56lbs and delivers 200rms into 7 channels @ 8 ohms. List is £5,750. I have a feeling Brytson make the amp for them but I am not certain.

Pat - you havent mentioned what speakers you have. You may not need the A51 or LX7 - something like the A52 or CX7 might do the trick and save you quite a lot of money. The key here in my opinion is not your processor but your speakers. The MC8 is a laid back preamp (in a nice way) and numerous amps inc the Parasound and the Lexicon will work well with it. You could also consider second hand kit.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    There is a Lexicon 512 for sale on the hififorsale free ads site.

This is a Bryston 9BST in a Lexicon case and at £1500 you could afford to add a more powerful 2 channel amp for the fronts maybe?

Whether this will be enough power though is something else? I would rather have a Parasound combo but you are talking alot more money.

Also are you looking for something long term or to get the Lexicon running with a view to selling it on at a later date when something else crops up?
    Thats why I suggested a Parasound 2205, great amp that work really, really well with the Kef custom install speakers and you know you can sell it straight away when you want to upgrade. Pidge22 sold his last week in about an hour.

6. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    merry christmas guys
    a lot of good ideas posted this time last week i was happy with my denon av1sr but now hopfully i am steping up a gear used the dosh i was saveing to get a scaler to buy the mc so now that is on the back burner!!!!?
    my speakers are kef ci 2000 in walls with a c200 centre rear centres are wharfdale picture frame type speakers had to go this way to keep Lyn happy haveing 9 speakers in the room
    i use a rel q400 & mk 100 subs speakers are connected via biwired solar wind cable
    if i can buy used that is the way to go for me .dont want to many boxes realy as i already have 3 dvd's 2 sat recievers video + L D player but that i think is going pity realy as the sound useing RF input is very good pioneer 504 plasma & sony 11ht PJ
    i would prefer i think a one box job to do the lot maybe the cx7 but to be honest i am not sure which way to go as this amp is something i will keep for quite a while
    i will check out all your surgestions thanks again

Pat

7. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I can recommend the ATI 3007. It has seven channels all rated at 300w @ 8 Ohms and is 'true balanced'. I looked and demoed a number of amps in the States before pairing the ATI with my 12B. If not the ATI, then Parasounds new (and old) range is superb (although not seven channels) and was my second choice. Krell would be ideal also :D

Yas

8. yamoda

yamoda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to make a decision on how seriously you split your use regarding audio and video, my split is roughly 50/50. I had a good pre amp (4k's worth) when I got my mc8 and it was kept in the system because the mc8 fell quite a bit short on audio, speshally with vinyl, I then got the passlabs x0 on ebay (just over 2k for a 10k preamp!) and this is staying in my system forever!!
    I know this isnt what you asked, but if you listen to vinyl or cd's seriously, then borrow a decent pre to listen to. The mc8 is a fantastic processor, but its a processor not an audiophile pre amp.
    As to power amps, I have had/listened to loads and for value/quality the bryston range from the 4bss upwards is hard to beat.

9. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Pat

I have got an Arcam P7 power amp which I will be putting in the classifieds next week - just a heads up if you are specifically looking for 7 channels in one box.

Cheers
    Rob

10. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Rob but got fixed up with a lexicon lx7

cheers though

Pat

11. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Pat, hows that LX7 pairing with your MC8 working out? ;)

Yas