1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What amp do you use for M&K's

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by John Watts, Oct 2, 2004.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all,
    I have just got myself some S85's :thumbsup: and am wondering what you guys use for amplification with your M&K's?
    I have a Denon3801 which i know will struggle somewhat with the 4 ohm load but i was thinking of getting myself a decent power amp and using the Denon as a processor.
    As ever any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Or if anyone has something for sale let me know.
    Regards,
    John.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I use an Intergrated av amp on my M&K's but always haveing more power is a good thing and getting a power amp would definately help drive them better, the denons do have nice processors (Sharc).
    I would not know what power amps to choose though as there are so many out there maybe a rotel would be a good start?

John :)

3. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are you using S85 all round or just LCR, I think the Denon should run them no problem but something like Rotel 985 mk2 (basically same as 1075) can be picked up around £350, and will bring improvement over denon's amps.
    Also what Sub have you got?, buying a quality sub to integrate with M&k's should be your first port of call.
    Congratulations on your fine speakers, I have big brother S125'S.

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i would highly reccomend parasound, a good combo i used to have. having played with some cyrus smartpowers recently, ii would reccomend these as well - depends on your budget though i suppose. roksan kand power amp is also pretty good for the money

5. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There is a 2205a Parasound amp for sale on Hifi forsale.com at less than a grand,I went from an Arcam Avr300 processor, Biamping with a Fmj P35 3 channel to a Meridian 561/Parasound 2205a (5 x 220 watts at 8 ohms) massive difference !
    Pidge22

6. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi folks,
    Thanks for the answers.
    I just have s85's for the left and right at the moment but intend to use M&K all around eventually.
    I have a Paradigm servo15 for a sub cirus so the low end is fairly well taken care of.
    Is it a good idea to use a good power amp like parasound/rotel for the front 3 and surround speakers and then use the Denon for powering the es/ex surround channels and for the proccesing?
    Cheers,
    John.

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi john i have 3802 was using with cdm1nts for fronts i tried rotel 985 mk1 5 channel power 100watts per channel a definate improvement over the 3802 for av use.

i now use dyns 62 which are 4 ohms, also have a23 it seems people who have tried a52 or 2205 have reported much bigger improvments ,have a look on the ht forum there is parasound and rotel owners topics, never heard any mk speakers so have no idea what they sound like.

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    That Parasound 2205 second hand sounds like a heck of a bargain ! I have run M&K 850's and S150's through my Parasound A51 power amp with great results. For less than a grand that amp is a tonker and given its huge power will drive the S85's like theres no tomorrow !

9. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    pidge22 would you be kind enough to post a link to the parasound,
    Cheers,
    John.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    On a much more moderate scale the Denon AVC10SE goes rather well with M&K having no problems whatsoever driving mine.

11. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Ian,
    Thanks for the reply and nice to see you again mate.
    As well as the Denon you use do you think some of the older models like the A1D or the old Pioneer THX ultra recievers/amps like the 909 etc would fit the bill remembering im using them as amps only.
    Or dous using them as amps only make no difference?
    An interesting point you made anyway and it gives me alot more scope.
    Also do you think my 3801 would do for a while as i quite fancy saving up for the Atlantic T power buy for sale here in the forums and using that with my Denon as a processor?
    Cheers again,
    John.
    Ps What M&K's are you using?

12. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As good as A10se is, i do not think it would be much of an upgrade on amps for its £4-450 outlay over your 3801.
    I would stick to original idea and buy a decent 5ch power amp, unless you have no plans of eventually getting a processor.(you will alway's upgrade ;) ) It is going to cost you at least £500 S/H to better denon processing with seperate processor.

13. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks Cyrus,
    Im pretty happy with the 3801's processors i just need power but what i was trying to ask was, have any of the older intergrated amps got enough power to drive the M&K's if they were used just as an amp?

14. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My point was that although older flagship models Denon A1D and big yamaha's etc will out perform your 3801's amps, not to the level of seperate power amp for similar cost. (as you may as well use A1D or A10se and sell 3801).
    Be content for now and save for quality power amp, they come up all the time when your not looking. :mad: :smashin:

15. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Morning,
    Fair point Cyrus.
    Has anyone used 3 decent quality stereo amps for home cinema or do they not work as well for AV duties?
    Or even monoblocks! do any of you guys use them?
    Please keep your thoughts coming, :thumbsup:
    John.

16. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi john with my 3802 and cdm1nts at the time my priorty has always been 2 channel and occasional av, i spoke to a b&W rep when i was considering adding a power amp , so tried small linn lk85, as suggested by rep found this better for 2 channel more refined, the music in gladiator sounded smoother the zing of the arrows more realistic.

but had nothing to compare the linn too as ,so returned linn, then tried rotel 985 tx power and rotel 891 2 channel sterio power, found the 891 to be better in 2 channel as regards vocals.

not got any experience of the the more expensive powers though .

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have the MPS 1510 ( pro versions of the S85 ) at the front with a pair of K4 at the rear. My point about the AVC10SE was really for other readers who may come across the thread as driving M&K speakers is a question that is frequently asked. Written specs for amps can be as vague as they are for subwoofers but at least the THX logo will ensure that it can drive the more difficult 4 ohm speakers satisfactorily.