What amp do i need to get a nice sound from my B&w dm600 s3

Fin199

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have very recently upgraded my speakers and got a nice set of b&w dm600 s3's. I currently have a sony ta-af44e which seams to have plenty of power but i feel the system might benifit greatly from a better amp, im just wondering what people would recommend? Any suggestions. My plan is to have a very good quality sounding stereo sound system. My normal use is for listening to my spotify through my phone, but i feel the quality might lack here too. I also listen to Cds on a sony cdp-70 often.

Last edited:
Hi Fin199,

What kind of budget do you have in mind? You mentioned Spotify, would you be looking at being able to stream your music?

Russell - Audible Fidelity

Well somthing 2nd hand around the £200 mark. But i have seen a very nice rega brio r which is over budget but i would possibly save up and get. I do generally just stream from my phone, i have never really looked into the streaming market because i feel that sort of technology is moving so fast that i would be stuggling to keep up because when i get my system i want to have it for years and years. I would be quite interested in maybe an older amplifier with very good sound quality.

You should be able to find a used Marantz PM6005 for under £200, and this would be a nice match with your B&W speakers.

The Rega would be a step up from this in IMO, but as you say, this would need a bit more £££

There are a number of amps out now that include Bluetooth or Spotify Connect, but asgain you would need to spend a bite more to get one. And if streaming is not a priority to you I would advise looking for an amp without any added features as these all cost money, money that could be better spent on better amplification.

Okay, thank you very much. I hope i am able to get one. Or i could just continue with the sony until i save up a little more for the rega.

No problem.

If you're already thinking that you will upgrade to something like the Rega further down the line, I would say just use the Sony for now and save up.

Last edited:
I have never heard the Mira 3 so can’t comment directly.

I have owned the Rega Brio 2000, and Brio 3, both of these were very pleasant amplifiers to listen to. The Brio 2000 I had paired with Mission speakers at one point, though I can’t remember the model as this was quite a long time ago…

If memory serves then the Mira 3 was a level up from the Brio range, so you would expect it to be “better”.

Someone who has actually heard this amp may be able to offer some better advice on it.

Russell - Audible Fidelity

Okay, one of those might be a consideration then. I feel the best soloution is to test them out side by side, instead of just relying on reviews but anyway. Im very keen for a rega or perhaps a teac.

Okay, one of those might be a consideration then. I feel the best soloution is to test them out side by side, instead of just relying on reviews but anyway. Im very keen for a rega or perhaps a teac.
You might find it hard to listen to those Rega amps side by side as they are no longer retail models, best of luck with your search for a new amp though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom