1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What amp and dvd with pio 435xde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mikeham, Nov 10, 2004.

1. mikeham

mikeham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to buy a Pioneer 435xde, with tabletop stand and speakers,

I currently have a sony DAVS 800 DVD however want one with HDMI capability.

What DVD would be best. ( looked at the Pio DV668 )
    Also any advice on an AMP. (Am considering the AX3i, which the dealer has instock)

Any ideas.

Cheers :)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    How big is the room? and how big is the budget? It's easy to outperform these players for the same money, but they have the advantage of all working from 1 remote. My personal view of HDMI is that it looks way better than other inputs on the 435 because of weakness in other inputs, not any intrinsic strength in HDMI, ie you are still better off with analogue and a different plasma. I find the rest of the plasma clunky and awkward, too complicated for it's own good, and not very special on scart inputs, noticeably sky. The MXE is a different animal. But out of the box it's an easy solution, same with HDMI, just plug and play. If you are thinking of a mid/high end AV amp, you don't really need a media box plasma.

3. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    respectfully, I disagree! How can something be too complicated and easy to set up as well ??

I have seem dozens of setup in peoples houses and in shops and am delighted with my setup of the 435 XDE and pio 668 DVD player.

I must admit I don't have that much knowledge on the industrial side of the the plasma market, but have been blown away at the detail, neutrality and 'feel' of this panel. If you like the look of it in the shop - it will be MUCH MUCH better at home.

...especially with a cold beer in you hand.

This is just my opinion - I feel people are far too hard on the new Pio's. I haven't looked back since taking the plunge and two years from now, with HDTV things will only get even better.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yep they look fab with HDMI DVD, and with euro1080i on HDMI too. Shame there's only 1 input, shame there's nothing to watch on euro TV, but it's the rest of the inputs I take issue with.

5. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...sky + through RGB scart, whilst not a patch on HDMI are still respectable.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I respectfully disagree! Nowhere near as good as the panel on which this TV is based, shame on them. But still, maybe I've got my head up my a**e about PQ, and scorn anything but perfection, it's certainly leagues ahead of any other TV with the exception of the viera, which is on a par scart wise, and better on component, but of course has no HDMI.

7. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the thing - ignorance is bliss!

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That is certainly true, and that being so, the 668 is good, but the AX3 might easily be over specified. How far away are the neighbours is another interesting question. I sell a lot of big Denon and Onkyo amps, but most of my customers have an acre to call their own, so no issues. London installations call for lighter weight kit, or a less exuberant hand on the volume up button! THX certified cinema rooms are a non starter in a smaller house.

9. mikeham

mikeham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my neighbours are not an issue - far enough away !

The new 435 has better colours etc than the MXe1, I was hanging on to go for the new kit.

Is there a new MXe1

I am on SKy via RGB, and was going DVD via HDMI

NO I'm confused again !!!!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Who gave you that B******t? The 435 looks better turned off, that's end of story.

11. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    MAW , I get the impression you're not too keen on the 435 :D

12. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mikeham - where do you live. Send me a PM and you are welcome to come round to see my set up (pio 435XDE, Pio 668 HDMI DVD, Sky + via RGB)

If you are happy (as I am) then job done!

13. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    I Have A 434hde With And 868 Dvd And Hdmi Is Lovely, I Have An Ax5 And Sounds Great, If You Have The Cash Get The 868 Dvd Player.

Im Upgrading To 435xde Or 505xde In The Next Few Weeks

Sky + Pictures To Me Are Great!!! And I Have Never Had One Single Problem

I Had A Panasonic Pw5 Screen And Was Happy With It But Pioneer Does It For Me...

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And you can see our MXE1 and scaler.

15. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How about a 435xde with a scaler ?

I believe Gordon posted some screen shots.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are still limited by the media box. Then, with a scaler, why bother with the media box anyway?

17. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm probably being thick but , how would the media box limit things ?

I've looked at the 43mxe1 , probably silver surround .

I plan on having my dvd/rec/projector/etc... in a cupboard with the plasma and projection screen approx 7mtrs away.

The plasma has to be on a floorstand , most of the stands I've seen for the 43mxe1 aren't exactly lounge friendly .

stan.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    OK OK you just revealed the floorstand bit. I'ved mentioned this before, as a TV on a stand it can't be beaten. How are you going to get a PJ screen in front of it if it's 2ft off the wall? I have this setup, with a wall mounted panasonic, total installed depth 110mm. The screen is in a pelmet, misses the plasma by 10mm

19. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The projection screen will be ceiling mounted to come down in front of plasma

Should I allow for a scaler ?

I was looking at either 868/3910 dvd players - believe I'd need to go with the 868 for interlaced input to scaler , and use a switcher between plasma and projector.

With the 3910 , no switcher needed as it has both DVI and HDMI outputs.

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello sjb

You do seem in need of some help!

01. Pedestal Stand - if you want something 'non agricultural' look at the aluminium finished Table Top Stand from SMS; also nice in that they are height adjustable so often enable a centre Channel speaker to slot in directly below the Display.

We use these a lot and they have a great 'significant other' acceptance factor.

See http://www.sms.safebrackets.se

02. PlasmaTV vs. Plasma Display - the 'problem' with the Pioneer Media Box is that there is no full function multipurpose Digital Input available.

There is an HDMI Input which can be used with an External Processor (Lumagen, DVDO, etc) though your limited to 720P and 1080i 'scaled' signals as there is no compatibility with a 'Native Rate' 1024x768 signal.

03. MXE1 and HDCP - currently the Video Cards supplied by Pioneer UK are NOT compatible with HDCP so no compatibility with the HDMI or DVI with HDCP outputs from a Pioneer DV-868AVi or Denon DVD-3910.

There are plans afoot for third party (and possibly even a Pioneer sanctioned card) to be released that will enable HDCP compatibility with the MXE1.

04. MXE1 and Video Processor - you'll see big benefits with all of your sources if you Input Analogue signals into a Lumagen or DVDO processor and output on DVI to the MXE1; personally I prefer the Lumagen though I can see the added attraction of the DVDO if its onboard Digital Audio delay is a required feature in your set-up.

05. System connectivity - 101 ways to configure a system; I'd ensile the help of a dealer with some experience in how everything interacts before you assume joining A to B will work the way you expect it too; we've all had plenty of 'surprises' to overcome in the past :)

Any questions please shout.

Best regards

Joe

21. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks MAW and JOE for the info - starting to get a clearer picture of where I'm headed !

Looked at the SMS site ( aswell as a load of others ) . I won't have a table or unit under the plasma as all the "boxes" will be in the cupboard , so , would need to be floorstand - looking at the pictures , slightly concerned about stability.

Also, noticed the "pole" stand between floor and ceiling - could move the plasma up and get the dancers in :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Only other piece of equipment under plasma would be centre speaker (KEF 9000) which will sit on a shelf.

Re - the HDMI input being limited to 720P and 1080i scaled - what effect will this have on the way the picture appears on the 435 ?

I take it the Digital audio delay on the DVDO is for "lip sync issues". If yes , wouldn't I be able to adjust this on my amp/reciever ?

If I ended up going with my heart (435) rather than my brain (43MXE1) with the PDK-FS03 floorstand - am I correct in thinking I can fit a shelf in the "cutout" for the centre speaker ?

Don't suppose the 43MXE1 fits the FS03 stand :D I'm in engineering so I could maybe "make" it fit :D

Think I'll need to try and make time next weekend to go to the Scottish show.

Stan.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Scaling, native resolution etc, complicated issue. The idea of using an external scaler is to get the scaler to do the whole job, give the screen native resolution, cut out the internal scaler. THe Lumagen or DVDO versions both do this better than the plasma will. The media box limits you to non-native resolution, unless you use the VGA port on the front panel of the media box, not good for WAF. With the MXE you would make 1 digital connection to the screen, linked via the scaler, to which you connect all your other sources, using switching in your amp too if needed, like if you have a DVD and 2 consoles etc. RGB and sync from scart connects to the scaler. This 1 cable can be had for about 1/2 the prive of Pioneers proprietary link cable for the XDE. Joe sells the kind of quality you will need, that's a fair old cable run. Lip sync, yes, good AV amps deal with this, in my experience you will need this with any Pioneer screen. Engineering wise, it's pretty likely you could make it fit, they take the same wall mount.

23. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So , I can get native res. on the 43MXE1 from the scaler - yes ?

With the media box of the 435 in cupboard, using the VGA port on front panel not too much of a problem - any other problems going this way ?

Am I correct in thinking the 435 panel gets power from the media box ( i.e. no seperate power cable ) whereas, the 43MXE1 has a power cable to the panel - still 2 cables either way though .

Hmmmm, if I can make the 43MXE1 fit the FS03, that might convince me that's the way to go .

I'd need a switcher after the scaler to select between plasma/proj ??
    Or, can you get a scaler with two outputs .

24. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Been doing a bit of research on the various combinations of kit !

Pretty much decided on the following:

DVD3910 - VSX-AX5Ai connected via I-link.

Only other things to connect are Sky, Freeview, and possibly Lumagen scaler.

Going to try and see 435xde next weekend and decide on display thereafter.

Need to allow for the projector aswell - thinking along the lines of Themescene H77 or Sim2 30H.

If I decide on 43MXE1 I think I'll need to talk to joe etc.. on best setup/connections etc...

Thanks again for all the advice - great site this :thumbsup:

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Couple of false assumptions, the 435 needs a power cable, and whilst there are no problems in going VGA to the front panel of the box, you need to make sure the scaler of your choice will 'convert' digital signals to analogue, and not just keep them digital. If going I-link, I would recommend sticking to 1 manufacturer, it might just not work otherwise, though the only real advantage is with SACD and DVD-A in any case.

26. mikeham

mikeham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry guys but same old story.

Missus like the look of the 435 so just ordered it today.

Now need the Amp and DVD

I still think htat keeping it pioneer will be OK - DV 668 (maybe 868) and AX3 (maybe new 2040). I can connect the DVD via HDMI and the amp via firewire. What are the best connections for sky +, a dv668 , ax3 and pio 435xde.

Is this OK. What speakers. I'm looking at spending approx 800 on speakers.

27. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mikeham,

Can't argue with your missus about the 435's looks.

In recommending the 43MXE1, MAW and JOE are aiming for the absolute best picture quality available at the moment and perhaps sacrificing a little on the actual looks of the surround etc... for a similar price to the 435XDE.

Personally, if I go for the 868, I'll probably go for the AX5Ai (you might pick up the AX5i cheaper now that the AX5Ai is out).From the way you've worded your question re connections I reckon you've pretty much decided on the 668/AX3 combination .

Speakers - depends on what type you want . Look at creative audio's site for ideas ( or avland ). Given the amount you're spending on plasma/dvd/amp the KEF 5005s might be worth a look if you can push the budget a bit :thumbsup: .

If you're able to buy dvd/amp/speakers in one go you could probably get a discount !

Check out the speaker forum for more info.

Stan.

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Kefs are pricey, you could also have a look at Nucleus Micros, by Anthony Gallo. Gloss black would look groovy with the 435, and compromise on the sub till she's looking the other way. Unless it's a huge room, a little Mission MS6 or 8 might do the job for the time being, and upgrade it later.

29. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MS Genies are definately worth a listen and come in at £799!

30. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, the MS Genies seem to be gathering quite a following.

Compare favourably against the Kef 2005s ( don't know against 5005s - different budget range though ).

Well worth a look !