1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what amp and cables?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by G a f f e r, Feb 23, 2005.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Hello.

I'm building a second hi-fi made from leftover components that have been upgraded from. The system may end up in my mum's house, or I might give it to a rellie at uni (they listen mainly to hip-hop).

I have:
    Arcam CD72 cd player
    Tannoy M15 speakers (re-wired with QED silver anniv wiring)

I am looking for an amplifier and have shortlisted the following:
    NAD C352ct £350
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540A £200
    Marantz PM7200 £330

Considering the musical taste of the person who'll end up listening, which one would suit it best? (I'm leaning towards the NAD at the mo - difficult to do listening tests due to the relative scarcity of decent hi-fi shops where I am now).

Also, what cables would you recommend? (I will be single wiring but would like the interconnect and speaker cables to the same make for synergy).

Speakers stands / hi-fi stand not needed as they live in student digs and need the space.

Thanx for any help

2. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

If you can get to hear it, the Marantz is well worth a listen. Don't pay £300 for it, though (e.g. richer sound have it for £240 - http://ws1.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MARA-PM7200-BLK and I think you might fine it ex dem for less elsewhere...). I was half-tempted to go for it myself - lots of power, decent bass (sounds good for drum & bass, probably would for hip hop too...) - but managed to resist cause it was WAY over budget...

Jon

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    thanx for that. There's a richer sounds near to me but I've been unsuccesful trying to arrange auditions of all three with them (which they stock).
    I've also seen the even cheaper marantz and cheaper nad (320 i think) for about the £130 and £170 mark respectively...
    considering these were over budget, what amp did you plump for in the end? (as this is a budget system, I don't mind spending less :) )

4. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you had problems getting demo's in the store or won't they let you take anything home to try out? I've never had a problem taking any kit they stock home for trials. You get to keep each item for 14 days in order to give it a thorough audition.

5. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

In the end, I went for a Cambridge Audio A500 for £100 - end of line, so I doubt you'll find a new one now, but if you see a cheapo refurb one that'd be well worth a listen. Main difference with the Marantz was just less power (slighty weaker bass than the Marantz, too, and *can* sound slightly less detailed), but the Cambridge's sound can still fill a big-ish room unless you like it VERY loud. Unless you need the extra power of the 7200, you might want to give the cheaper Marantz a listen, too (my Cambridge amp was to replace a bust Marantz PM4000, which I think was the model b4 the 4400 and, though the Cambridge sounds better for rock, jazz etc, the bass on the Marantz still seemed to deal with 'dance' music better...)

And yeah, if you ask nicely at Richer Sounds they should be happy to give you a home trial (though they normally offer an exchange, not refund, so you might be better off starting with a cheap one and working up the range unless you want to end up with surplus cash that needs to be spent on hi-fi...) They even let me return a DVD player just cause the lousy menu system on it was winding me up :)

Jon

6. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    All I wanted to do at richer sounds was get them to set up the system in their listening room to compare, but they always have some excuse......"oh, we're very busy, oh, we've just arranged everything oh, they all sound similar" etc etc

7. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you considered the rotel RA-01?